PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
Hello fellow pipe smokers, as the title says there are two questions I'd like your wisdom on.

VaPer:

I have never smoked a VaPer mix, but feel the profile will suit my tastes. I am looking at Dunhill Navy Rolls, or Elizabethan, and from reviews and descriptions feel the Rolls will suit me better because I like heavier tastes. What should I expect if 90% of my pipe experience so far has been Latakia-heavy English blends? I am asking because I tried a bowl of straight Virginia and found it very lacking in flavour.

Peterson Nightcap:

The last time I smoked a Dunhill Nightcap is more than 2 years ago now, to the point I have nearly forgotten what it tastes like (although I pull out my last tins and smell them, gives me goosebumps because I feel it blows everything else out the water). I remember the experience though, obviously biased by all the decades of reverence to this blend: strong, thick, heavy, delicious. I can now get hold of the Peterson brand of Nightcap, I read it is essentially the same thing with a different name. Shall I go ahead and buy a good number of tins? I usually always bought 1 tin at a time as I smoke perhaps 2-3 times per week, so tins last me ages.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
In regards to the latter question, it is supposed to be the exact same blend as the last Dunhill-branded version, but I'd always recommend a bit of caution just in case. OTOH, it's a popular enough blend that you shouldn't have much trouble off-loading them in trades if it doesn't quite measure up.

Reactions: seanv

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
Buy one to smoke and one to cellar. Enjoying Virginia's takes time. The flavors are usually subtle and require a slow smoke. The vaper blends you mentioned are very good. Try to smoke as slow as possible and dissect the flavors. The perique will add some nice spice but again, will probably take time to fully appreciate. Don't be intimidated and have fun.

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
VaPers are a whole other world, especially if they're on the strong spicy side of the scale. I don't think anyone can tell you whether you'll like them or not. It's more of a gradual learning curve coming to appreciate what they can offer. The one's you've mentioned are a fine place to start. If you want to go heavier, Solani 633 is a good one. If you want to go in a different but equally interesting direction, Pennyfarthing is quite good.

Reactions: danimalia

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
For some folks, they go all in or not at all. But why? I'd buy one tin, see how you like it, and if you like it order a few more. On the Va/Per front, the late great fish'n'banjo expressed a distinct liking for Escudo, so you might try a tin of that. Take it easy. What you don't like this year, you might like next, and vis-versa.

redglow

Lifer
Jan 7, 2019
Michigan
In my early piping days, I was all Nightcap All The Time.

Now, I"m much more into the VaPers/Virginias. Time changes everything. I will pick up some of the new Nightcap when I get a chance though.

After an 18 year hiatus from piping, I never could forget the amazing Nightcap. It's what eventually brought me back to piping. But, I have discovered other blends since my return that I enjoy just as much now.

So, get a little of each and see what you think of them. Then stock up on your favorites.

B18

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 27, 2015
If you are used to constantly smoking Latakia-mixtures (for example nightcap), than VA's will be less favourable and you will need to get used to the taste of it. For me, I can't/don't want to smoke latakia constantly and pure Va's can get dull (and a higher chance of tongue bite) for me. So VaPers are my go to!:col:

In regards to VaPers for you to try; I would first suggest HH Acadian Perique. It has most, if not all, of the other components as nightcap except for Latakia and has thus a lot more flavour compared to the traditional VaPers. If you want something with a bit more traditional VaPer, but with some extra something; I would recommend a VaPer including some Dark Fired (for example HU Lousiana Broken).

For a more traditional VaPer (IMHO), I would suggest Peterson (previously known as Dunhill) Delux Navy Rolls, DTM Salty Dog, DTM St.bernard, SG St,James Flake and the Solani Vaper (forgot its name/number).

If you have tasted the above mentioned blends and VaPer with more Perique, than i would suggest C&D Bayou Morining (my favourite VaPer, regarding price/quality). But you can always go for non-traditional VaPer's such as C&D Three Friars (VaBurPer blend) and C&D Old Joe Krantz, etc.

I hope this helps.

Reactions: cortezattic

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
Thanks again, it IS a problem (a good one!) how much variety there is, especially for "new" pipe smokers like me. I say new even though I have been smoking pipes on an off for years, it's mostly been English blends.

It'd be good to try some straight mixes from most tobaccos just to learn the basics

oldmansmoking

Part of the Furniture Now
May 13, 2017
UK
I didn’t like Elizbethan or Nighcap. I only finished the tins because they cost so much.
Highly overrated in my opinion.
I regret reading reviews on these tobacco’s and would definitely not buy again.
The only tin tobacco I would buy again is Peterson Irish Flake.
I have 7 tobacco’s I like so do have variety in my cellar.
I just feel some reviews don’t reflect the tobacco’s.

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
I just feel some reviews don’t reflect the tobacco’s.

We all face that problem. No reviewer can predict very accurately what a blend will taste for you; taste is extremely subjective.
(For the record, I think both Elizabethan and NIghtcap are superb blends.)

Reactions: judcole

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
You've probably thought of this, but you don't want to smoke your Va/Pers (and definitely not your straight Virginias) in a pipe that has had lots of latakia on it.
As to the second question: STG made Dunhill blends. STG makes Peterson blends. They now make the Pete/Dunhills in the same factory where they made Dunhills. Why should there be any difference? puffy

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
Thank you Judcole, I have thought of the issue of ghosting, my issue is that I have 2 pipes that I like which have had heavy Latakia use in them, 1 indifferent (which also had a lot of Latakia!) and two which I don't really like (fleamarket finds, they came with one of the two pipes I like so I bought three to actually use one), and they don't smell like they ever had Latakia in them.

I want to get another pipe to use for non-Lat blends, but will need to phase it in at an appropriate time not to annoy my wife, probably by dropping it next to a present for her!

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
A good Intro Va/per would be Orlik Golden Slice. Buy 2 tins, one to try now and 1 to age. I just opened a 4 year old Tin of OGS and it’s Amazing. Fresh it’s Virginia’s with a splash of perique. There is a touch of citrus/apricot/bergamot top note that is more pronounced in a fresh tin.

Next get two tins of Escudo, same thing as above, smoke 1 and age 1. More perique in Escudo. Might be the same Virginia’s?

Then for something different, try C&D Bayou Morning Flake. Same as above. Age 1 and smoke 1. This one will be a different experience than the first two flakes. Different process etc.

Now you need to take on GLP Haddo’s Delight. This is big perique with rum.

Finally C&D Exclusive and Chenet’s Cake should be on your radar if you made it past Haddo’s Delight.

Always buy more to age, Vapers get better and will change.

Reactions: dcon and danimalia

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
Vapers do change a lot with some jar time behind them. I have found quite often that the perique mellows out to a raisin,fig, dark fruit taste. This is over time of course.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
If all you have smoked are English/Latakia blends, you're likely to find any Virginias relatively flavorless, at least at the beginning. The flavors in Virginias are subtler, and require a period of adjustment before one can really appreciate them.

Virginias will school you. It doesn't take any skill to smoke an English blend. The pungent flavors of the Orientals and Latakia always deliver at some level. But with Virginias, everything is subtler as are the nuances, so the better the technique, the more of that subtle kaleidoscope of flavors comes through. Moisture content becomes more critical for revealing flavor notes. Developing a slow cadence to keep the blend just simmering helps bring out the flavors. And snorking, which is the very gentle and ssllooww exhalation of the smoke through your schnoz, allows you to experience more flavor notes than your tongue is capable of sensing.

So give your mouth a couple of days off before trying a Va/Per, to let the lingering Latakia taste in your mouth fade. It's a whole different and wonderful world of flavors to be explored and enjoyed.

Status
Not open for further replies.