PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

carlosviet

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 23, 2012
I really thought it took longer to notice a color... I just smoke a bowl a day, and put beewax yesterday...
April 2012

R_DSC_0555.jpg

June 2012

R_DSC_0576.jpg

It's kind of funny how unevenly it changes...

R_DSC_0579.jpg

tokerpipes

Lifer
Jan 16, 2012
Eatonville, WA
Let it sit for a week witrh out smoking it... you will be surprised at how much color it gains. A little break from a meer is good for it. And hell smoke a few bowls a day from it bro. I smoke like 4+ bowls a day and the entire shaft is black after 4 months. It also depends if it is African meer or not. African meer is harder or more compressed and can take a very long time to even start to color.

carlosviet

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 23, 2012
It is an IMP Meerschaum bought from smokingpipes. And yes, there are two parts of it that seem immune to coloring, so as you point out, probably those parts where filled or pressed or something. A pity, because it was an expensive pipe, but that's how things are.

tokerpipes

Lifer
Jan 16, 2012
Eatonville, WA
Every meer colors different. Mine the shaft is coloring first and around the top of the bowl.

2012-05-23080534_JacksonvilleBeach_Florida_US.jpg

The more you smoke the more it will color. Some parts of the pipe more than others parts. Yours looks like block, not pressed. So where it is coloring faster is the more porrous parts of the pipe. Just keep smoking her and she will color in time. My bowl is starting yellow. Also your oils from your skin can slow the coloring process, some guys wear gloves when they smoke meers. I just smoke and if it takes longer then that just means I have to smoke it more often.

pipemama

Lurker
May 8, 2012
I have several Meerschaums, and each has colored differently because of tobacco, and the number of smokes strung together (3 smokes at one time). I also believe, like briar, there are different grades of meerschaum, and not referring to pressed blocks. Remember, anything developed under ground, like briar and meerschaum, pick up all kinds of debris as they develop and grow. I've had one pipe finally drop a chip after a crack developed. It turned out to be a "sand vein". Nothing could have predicted this, like the stone the carvers find in briar.
So just enjoy the pipe, watch it color and don't worry if it's not a truly even change.
Deb

martiniman

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 6, 2012
I like the uneven coloring since it tells me it was done by truly smoking a pipe as compared to a workaround like dipping or oven heating.
You're making a honest pipe with a bit of history starting.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
My redkneck self derives pleasure from coloring corn cob pipes. They appaerntly don't take a whole long time to color either and they are only a few bucks :)

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
http://pipesmagazine.com/blog/put-that-in-your-pipe/slave-to-the-white-goddess/
As you continue to wax and smoke the pipe, the coloration will migrate and

become resident. Waxing gives you an idea of what the grain of the block is,

and will hasten display of the fills, if there are any. Some high grade block

will have inclusions of denser block, which results in a marbled coloration.

MarbledMeerschaum.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.