PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

WNCLEE28466

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 29, 2021
Wallace, NC (near the coast)
I just received a package today, and it contains 3 blends I've never tried: Boswell's Northwoods, Dreams of Kadath & Maltese Falcon. I'll let you know how they all are when smoked. I'm truly looking forward to something different. Wish me luck and let me know if you've tried any of these and let me know what you think. Best, LeRoy

WVOldFart

Lifer
Sep 1, 2021
Eastern panhandle, WV
The only one I have tried is Maltese Falcon. It seems to me that I liked it, but I haven't smoked it since I opened the tin. So maybe I didn't like it as well as I thought. I will have to try it again and see what my taste buds say.

originalnutcracker

Can't Leave
Feb 26, 2018
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Northwoods is a staple of mine that regularly enters rotation - very well executed blend. There is a touch of a dark fruit aromatic thrown in to what I would otherwise think of as an English. It also changes with age.

The Country Squire “Shepherds Pie” subs in from time to time and is also worth checking out if you enjoy Northwoods.

Reactions: Streeper541

WNCLEE28466

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 29, 2021
The Maltese Falcon has Latakia, but it is on the lighter side of the spectrum. Not a Lat Bomb. The reviews I read on this one said it was a stronger blend, but I didn't find this to be so. I just like a Latakia that has a more pungent, fireside, BBQ smell and taste to it. And I do love Pirate Kake which is 75% Latakia. Strong stuff! Otherwise this is really a good blend. If you want Latakia, but not too strong; this is the one for you.

Windknot

Lurker
Nov 4, 2021
Corpus Christi, Texas
The Maltese Falcon has Latakia, but it is on the lighter side of the spectrum. Not a Lat Bomb. The reviews I read on this one said it was a stronger blend, but I didn't find this to be so. I just like a Latakia that has a more pungent, fireside, BBQ smell and taste to it. And I do love Pirate Kake which is 75% Latakia. Strong stuff! Otherwise this is really a good blend. If you want Latakia, but not too strong; this is the one for you.
Short of smoking straight lat, Pirate Kake is one of my favorites.

Reactions: Streeper541

JKoD

Part of the Furniture Now
May 9, 2021
IN
Northwoods is OK. I smoke on occasions. It’s got an unmistakably Boswell sweetness to it, but I didn’t find any fruit that someone else suggested. Others may disagree, but smoke it up. I don’t like it after a couple months. It’s like the topping soils or something. ?‍♂️
Maltese Falcon is meh to me.
Never had the other one. Seems like some war lord dungeon and dragon player special - no thanks, I’ll pass.

Streeper541

Lifer
Jun 16, 2021
Spencer, OH
I have not yet tried Dreams of Kadath, but regularly enjoy Northwoods & Maltese Falcon. I hope you enjoy them all immensely and I look forward to your review.

WNCLEE28466

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 29, 2021
Hello. I'm still trying to see if I truly like the Dreams of Kadath. I want to give it a few more tries before I decide. As soon as I smoke more and decide, I'll let you know. It's one of those blends that smells great, but I'm still trying to fish those flavors out... Thanks, LeRoy