"T'was the night before Christmas" to omit Santa smoking pipe.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mick

Can't Leave
Aug 13, 2012
This is not even new. I bought a copy of the book for my son's first Christmas three years ago and it was edited out then.

piperl12

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2012
My wife texted me today to tell me Woopie Goldberg on the View just went off on the stupidity of the woman author. I think this lady my find the whole concept back fires on her Santa I guess is where society begins to draw the line.... Now if we could just get the tooth fairy to smoke a pipe ;)

crazypipe

Lifer
Sep 23, 2012
1910_2x_zpsd1219ebc.jpg

flmason

Lifer
Oct 8, 2012
It is very sad when a group of people or individuals want to change something that has served many others for years without problems.
A similar instance is the Mark Twain books. They were revised to remove original text. If a person reads a book and they do not like it in its original form, they should just not read the part they object to.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
“The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended.” Claude Frédéric Bastiat
People think fascism comes marching in under a marble arch with tanks and machineguns and is limited to Germans in snappy uniforms. That's not the truth. The truth is, it creeps in and whittles away our freedoms bit by bit and we happily pay for it, because it's "For our own good". By the time the tanks arrive, you will either be driving one or under it. - Me

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
This is the same thing as burning books in my mind. The person who did this needs to be vilified and made to be a social pariah. This is s disgusting on so many levels.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
To me the revisionism is actually worse. When you burn books, the ignorance and mob mentality is out in public for everyone to see. This kind of censorship is nothing more or less than thought reform. It uses our tendency as humans to rationalize, compromise and then accept the changes as "normal". If you want to keep the things you love, then you have to swallow one bitter pill, then two. The end result is the pill is all that's left and you've rationalized your way into believing that it's just the way things are. Santa and his pipe is an easy concession for most people because they have no interest in smoking pipes. Even people who claim to care about their liberty see it as simply absurd rather than the roots of something insidious that is happening in every facet of their lives. I can't really go much further than that without getting political.

mick

Can't Leave
Aug 13, 2012
I personally see no problems editing a kid's book for the sake of kids. I mean, what about the art of the book? The original Santa was a midget, so is changing Santa from a midget to a huge 6 foot plus lumbering man the same as burning books? If you read enough children's tales you will find that a lot of them have changed from their origins, especially some fables. Sometimes the big bad wolf burns his bottom and flees for his life, sometimes he gets cooked and eaten. Children's literature has always been in a state of flux.
dwarf.png

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
That may be true, but burning to death is not the same as smoking a pipe. Also, according to the person doing the revising, it is an unabashed effort at censorship and she uses references to Santa planting bombs and other ridiculous emotional arguments to sway peoples' opinions in favor of her revisions. It's not merely Disneyfying something for kids, it's an effort at changing something into her own vision of what it should be and she makes it pretty clear.

hawk60ce

Lifer
Jun 11, 2012
I will be writing a critical discourse analysis about this article for my english class. If i feel confident about it i will post it here.

bayoubreeze

Lurker
Oct 9, 2012
“The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended.” Claude Frédéric Bastiat
People think fascism comes marching in under a marble arch with tanks and machineguns and is limited to Germans in snappy uniforms. That's not the truth. The truth is, it creeps in and whittles away our freedoms bit by bit and we happily pay for it, because it's "For our own good". By the time the tanks arrive, you will either be driving one or under it. - Me
Couldn't agree more on both points. :clap:

Status
Not open for further replies.