PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

shermnatman

Lifer
Jan 25, 2019
Philadelphia Suburbs, Pennsylvania
David Ford appeared in 100 episodes of Dark Shadows - ABC's 1966-1971 Gothic/Horror daytime TV soap opera - playing pipe-smoking, alcoholic, painter/artist, Sam Evans; and father to Collinsport Inn waitress, Maggie Evans - being the 2nd victim of attack by the 200 year-old vampire, Barnabas Collins, after his unintended resurrection episode #210.

1611849234331.png1611847845983.png1611849389428.png

Last edited:

Epip Oc'Cabot

Can't Leave
Oct 11, 2019
"Father Knows Best," actually meant ironically I think, had the dad (a well-known actor whose name escapes me at the moment) smoke a pipe, or at least clench a pipe from time to time. That was in the fifties in black and white. Robert Young and Jane Wyatt were the leads in that show, a quick search tells me.
Danny Thomas was the lead “the father” and I remember him occasionally with a pipe.

Addendum.... he might have been on “Make Room for Daddy”, my mistake.... still occasionally had a pipe. I think on “FKB” it was Robert Young (Marcus Welby, M.D. too).

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: edger and macaroni

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Reactions: edger and macaroni

macaroni

Lifer
Oct 28, 2020
Texas
I'm having a ball reading your posts and I'm enjoying finding some on netfilx and youtube (I get to try some new ones for me!)!
thnx much
mike

Reactions: edger
I'm having a ball reading your posts and I'm enjoying finding some on netfilx and youtube (I get to try some new ones for me!)!
thnx much
mike
My bet is that more than half of all series on Netflix includes at least one or more pipe smokers. This year is the first year my wife and I have ever kept up with series outside of a few on HBO, few and far between. But, I have been thrilled that almost every series has a pipe smoker that shows up in each and every episode.

Reactions: macaroni and edger

shermnatman

Lifer
Jan 25, 2019
Philadelphia Suburbs, Pennsylvania
Least we forget on the original "Old Codger" of TV; Leo G. Carrol, as: Mr. Waverly, the head of U.N.C.L.E.

The Man From U.N.C.L.E. episode The Never-Never Affair, guest-stars: Barbara Feldon, as UNCLE agent Mandy Stevenson; and Ceasar Romero, as the head the French branch of the evil enemy-spy organization: THRUSH. The plot revolves around the mix-up of Mr. Waverly's "very old and irreplaceable" pipe tobacco humidor - when he sends out an UNCLE courier to take the humidor to his tobacconist to refill his favorite mixture - Isle of Dogs #22 - while also intending for a proper UNCLE agent to deliver some micro-film, which the enemy THRUSH agents are after. While no pipe smoking occurs on screen, the pipe tobacco humidor stars as the "McGuffin" of this very entertaining UNCLE episode.
1611871134152.png

Fiddlepiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 22, 2020
Scotland
www.danielthorpemusic.com
Least we forget on the original "Old Codger" of TV; Leo G. Carrol, as: Mr. Waverly, the head of U.N.C.L.E.

The Man From U.N.C.L.E. episode The Never-Never Affair, guest-stars: Barbara Feldon, as UNCLE agent Mandy Stevenson; and Ceasar Romero, as the head the French branch of the evil enemy-spy organization: THRUSH. The plot revolves around the mix-up of Mr. Waverly's "very old and irreplaceable" pipe tobacco humidor - when he sends out an UNCLE courier to take the humidor to his tobacconist to refill his favorite mixture - Isle of Dogs #22 - while also intending for a proper UNCLE agent to deliver some micro-film, which the enemy THRUSH agents are after. While no pipe smoking occurs on screen, the pipe tobacco humidor stars as the "McGuffin" of this very entertaining UNCLE episode.
View attachment 62699
Great memories of watching those with my grandfather. Wonderful show.