PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Mike N

Can't Leave
Aug 3, 2023
I recently smoked a few bowls of Seattle Pipe Club’s Wild Man, which is made with Cyprian Latakia, and found it underwhelming compared to the Turkish Latakia blends. (See the JimInks review of Wild Man, where he gave it only two stars.) I am going to continue comparing those two (Syrian v. Cyprian), as I tend to believe the quality difference is quite noticeable to my palate at least.

khiddy

Might Stick Around
I will agree, Jim's 2-star review gave me pause, but I was able to snag 2 tins of SPC Wild Man for $10 each, and at about half-price from the going rate, I consider it worth a try.

IIRC JimInks's low rating was due not so much to the type of Latakia in the blend (he refers specifically to Cyprian Lat), but more to his perception of inconsistency in the blend, which at least one other reviewer (Spurgeon Piper) also called out (in the context of his own 4-star review).

Reactions: Mike N

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
What I'd read about Turkish vs Cypriot Latakia is that tobacco was grown in Cyprus, cured and processed into Latakia in Turkey and then sent back to Cyprus to be packaged and exported as "Cypriot Latakia".

@mingc indeed the Syrian government had banned the production of Latakia for decades before the civil war etc, whatever was being used was already very old stock.

@BrightDarkEyes you may be getting Latakia burnout, it's been commonly reported in this forum, my own experience was that I smoked Dunhill Nightcap for 10 years straight before branching out due to it being discontinued (and before being picked up by Peterson), now leaning a lot more towards Virginias, Latakia I find overpowering, but like it from time to time.

Last edited:

damacene

Might Stick Around
Jul 31, 2022
I just had a large bowl of the Black Frigate and it was amazing. The latakia was more present but it was smoother and sweeter than what I remember. The date on the bottom of the tin says 06/24/24, so this is the freshest I've had it. I don't know if it's youth is a contributing factor but if this is Turkish latakia, I'm all for it.

Reactions: Mike N