Turkish Coffee...never going back to regular coffee!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

creekspecter

Might Stick Around
May 25, 2011
I should have never looked at this thread. I was TDY to Hellinikon, Ankara, and Izmir in '88, and I loved the coffee. And the food, but that's another story. But, I hadn't thought about how much I missed the coffee until I read y'all's comments. Dammit! now I have to go buy something else!

Jul 12, 2011
drink'in some right now...about to go have another cup with a nice pipe of Marlin flake....
for the links: I found http://www.turkishcoffeeworld.com/ to have lots of good information and the produts you will need to make good Turkish coffee (Turkish coffee pot, turkish coffee (can use any coffee to try just make sure it is ground to "fine" baby-powder, sugar and water). The markets that have grinders have a "Turkish" grind setting I have seen.
It really is a simple process once you make it a few times and a GREAT way to drink coffee (I'm a coffee hound so I know) I opted for stainless steel turkish coffee pot (various x-oz sizes are available) (found @ local area cooking supply place for $11.00) due to speed/washing factors but I want a copper one as well for tradition/style and to compare in future. I also have some Turkish Coffee by Mehmet Efendi on the way to try as well..I will let all know reviews after a few cups of it :D

shabroky

Lurker
Mar 24, 2011
I assume it makes no difference, but I'm completely new to this, so I'll ask anyway: Does the type of handle (brass/wood/etc) make any difference? Or is it merely an aesthetic choice?

surfmac211

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 28, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
the handle is a pure aesthetic choice. However some pots mainly the cheaper ones the handle will get hot.

Here is a video for you Hobbie. This is the closest way that I found on how I make it. The main thing I do different is I was taught to let it boil 3 times. Also I was taught to mix the sugar in until it resolves, before you put your coffee in.

watch

mauro

Lurker
Jan 9, 2011
Adesso comincio con caffè turco , :) il caffe normale , roba moderna cattiva

:puffy: ciao
Translation:

Now I start with turkish coffee, :D regular coffee, modern stuff bad

:puffy: Later

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Hey Mauro

It's good to see you online.

I started my day with a couple of Turkish Coffees, now on to yard work.
Translate:

Ciao Mauro

E 'bello vederti online.

Ho iniziato la mia giornata con un paio di caffè turco, ora a lavorare cantiere.

undecagon

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2011
Chicago, IL
In an attempt to see if I could make this is just a regular tiny pot (I know Ibriks are cheap, but I'm a Grad Student...and cheaper :nana: ) I decided yes I can. Tastes pretty good. I used sugar (which I normally wouldn't w/ coffee) simply because everything I read about Turkish Coffee says to. Do you all use it? Anyone else use a normal pot?
I also am now realizing that during my experiment I ended up drinking 3 cups of the stuff in the last 25 min....gonna be a long night!

kasbah

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 26, 2012
In an attempt to see if I could make this is just a regular tiny pot (I know Ibriks are cheap, but I'm a Grad Student...and cheaper ) I decided yes I can. Tastes pretty good. I used sugar (which I normally wouldn't w/ coffee) simply because everything I read about Turkish Coffee says to. Do you all use it? Anyone else use a normal pot?
I also am now realizing that during my experiment I ended up drinking 3 cups of the stuff in the last 25 min....gonna be a long night!
The Cafe Najjar brand is what you will find in every household of my family, immediate and extended. I prefer mine without cardamom, my family is pretty much split along that front. I always use an ibrik but that's because we have many of them around.
I don't drink mine with sugar at all but that's just what I grew up accustomed to. When I was overseas in Syria it is served unsweetened unless you specify but in Egypt it is served sweetened unless otherwise specified. I say drink it which ever way you enjoy the most but I find that the taste best compliments a pipe without sugar ;)
Welcome to the world of Turkish coffee and tread carefully because, as you found out, it's easy to put the stuff down! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.