PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

sittingbear

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2015
Olympia, WA
I am thinking about getting my brother a morta pipe for his 40th birthday and ran across a bunch on ebay by a carver named Turkiewicz. They are very affordable ($40-$50 or less). Does anyone have any experience with or knowledge of this brand?

Reactions: Chalaw87

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I bought one a few years back, but did not keep it. It smoked fine maybe a little hot, but it was the size of the bowl that I finally decided was too small. I had a much better morta pipe I had bought way before that but I wasn't impressed with it too much either as it too smoked a bit hot. I got the Turkiewicz because it was so cheap and I wanted to try morta again. It wasn't a bad pipe by any means, especially for the price. I guess I'm more of a briar smoker to appreciate other materials, same with meerschaum. Nothing wrong with them, just not my cup of tea.
Here's a pic of me smoking it.
415F77BF-4441-4A37-B0FD-276D28CA2DED_1_201_a.jpeg

Chalaw87

Can't Leave
Apr 21, 2021
Northeast TN
I know this doesnt answer your question, but you may also check out Moretti's morta pipes. Ive had one for a couple of years and its a great smoker.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I know this doesnt answer your question, but you may also check out Moretti's morta pipes. Ive had one for a couple of years and its a great smoker.

I heartily second the Moretti suggestion
I have several of his mortas and I’m very happy with them

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I have never talked to anyone that has raved about morta. People have enjoyed them but it seems like the biggest draw is the semiexotic quality of it. I do want one some time down the line.
Just cool to think you’re smoking a pipe made from material that’s thousands of years old

I have pipes made of morta, olive wood, cherry wood, corn cob, meerschaum, clay, porcelain and even ivory.
Just because I was curious.

Better than briar ?
NAH

sittingbear

Jul 20, 2015
Olympia, WA
I bought one a few years back, but did not keep it. It smoked fine maybe a little hot, but it was the size of the bowl that I finally decided was too small. I had a much better morta pipe I had bought way before that but I wasn't impressed with it too much either as it too smoked a bit hot. I got the Turkiewicz because it was so cheap and I wanted to try morta again. It wasn't a bad pipe by any means, especially for the price. I guess I'm more of a briar smoker to appreciate other materials, same with meerschaum. Nothing wrong with them, just not my cup of tea.
Here's a pic of me smoking it.
View attachment 276299
THAT'S too small?? I'm assuming the camera was really close to the pipe...?

sittingbear

Jul 20, 2015
Olympia, WA

I was looking at those, too, but was attracted to the much lower price of the Turkiewiczes. Another brand I've found is Antons (Anton Pipe Art Studio) out of Ukraine. He's got some great looking animal carved stummels, too....

Reactions: pipenschmoeker123

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Just cool to think you’re smoking a pipe made from material that’s thousands of years old

I have pipes made of morta, olive wood, cherry wood, corn cob, meerschaum, clay, porcelain and even ivory.
Just because I was curious.

Better than briar ?
NAH
oh heck yeah. That is the draw for me. I so want one but not because of what I've heard about smoking one. Just that heck yeah it's so cool to have something ancient like that.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii

Marco’s Moretti’s pipes are less expensive on eBay, Marco will even tell you this.

This is Moretti’s eBay link, don’t pay attention to the Security Measure words...

All though, he doesn’t have a huge morta selection to choose from at the moment on eBay.

Last edited:

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
I’ve pondered them. Given the price the workmanship is great. That said, Id pay a bit more for additional finishing and style.

dzyndzl

Lurker
Dec 26, 2023
PL
I have two pipes from him, I like them, however as mentioned earlier they are quite narrow 17-18mm. Considering the price - less than 20usd including shipping (I'm from PL) I think it's worth buying if only to try. You can always contact Robert and determine what you want - shape, dimensions, color, etc. ;)

Reactions: sittingbear
Jan 18, 2023
I was wondering about these pipes as well, some of them look absolutely stunning. I just don't want to drop money on a beautiful pos when I could get another 320ks lol