PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Had you removed the original satin before applying the oil? Had you stained the pipe before applying the oil? If the pipe was stained, the pores are filled with stain, I really doubt much, if any was absorbed by the brier. You could do a light sanding or, my choice, smoke the pipe and enjoy after the oil is thoroughly dried and buffed. I, personally, wouldn't worry. I really doubt you will absorb anything more dangerous than the poisons from the burning tobacco unless you immersed the pipe in the oil. Certainly not in any quantity which could cause any further damage than is already occurring.
Tung is, I believe, water soluble. So wipe it a few times with a damp cloth and check what you get.

If you used something other than pure Tung Oil the carriers are probably more dangerous than the oil itself. Tung oil is used in some medicines to relieve some body deficiencies.
I simply do not see a problem except for the pervasive and obnoxious smell of the oil for a few days after application.
And, "noise oil"? I learned it as nose grease. Does a great job but, doesn't last as long as a wax application and buffing.

cranseiron

Part of the Furniture Now
May 17, 2013
McHenry, MS
I absolutely agree with jpm and pipetom. Tung oil is a natural oil from the Tung Nut tree, dries to a hard finish for an oil and can't be any more toxic that any other stain or varnish used on other pipes. Especially any other dip stained pipe. Leave it. You'll have no problems.

uperepik

(Oldtown)
Mar 8, 2017
I stained the stummel, sanded to 12k grit, buffed it with diamond, lightly coated the tung oil. Then let it sit for a day and buffed it then carnauba wax and buff.

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
I wouldn't worry one bit about it man. What's on the outside of your pipe has no bearing on how it smokes, it's not going to give you cancer by off-gassing phosgene when you smoke it. Relax.
LOTS of pipes get treated with tung oil. Lots get shellac. Lots get acrylic, some get gum arabic under wax... Some tung oils are polymerizing and do have some other ingredients in them, but if they dry safe enough for furniture, that's all a pipe is.. a tiny piece of furniture.
Funny that people will flip shit about what brand of wax is on the outside of a pipe, but they have no idea what that coating on the chamber is when they first lit it up....

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
Funny that people will flip shit about what brand of wax is on the outside of a pipe, but they have no idea what that coating on the chamber is when they first lit it up....
This^^ .... The outside of the pipe is the least of my worries....

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
MEKO (methyl ethyl ketoxime) is the anti-skinning component of the Tung oil you used. It outgasses upon drying. It is not considered toxic at the levels found in the Tung oil. It is considered a carcinogen. But as Cranse and Sasquatch point out, even if it were still present, which it isn't when the liquid dries, it would still be at a level below any limit considered "dangerous". But, many tung oil products can contain petroleum-based, high-VOC thinners, oil substitutes, or heavy-metal drying agents, and they might not contain any tung oil at all. And for the record, Formby's is a varnish and contains no Tung Oil. Just an FYI.

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
If you don't plan on drinking the remaining Formby's you should be just fine . Just let it dry for a week or so and smoke away . Polish that sucker up and post a picture of it .

uperepik

(Oldtown)
Mar 8, 2017
Here's the one I just finished, it's a Ben Wade (big) and I wanted it a different color, this thing has zero fills in it except for the ugly one right at the stamping.
Photo%20Jun%2021%2C%207%2028%2008%20PM.jpg

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
The extraordinary number of smartasses frequenting this board is one of the reasons I like it here. Sasquatch, are you going to start treating your handmade pipes with this varnish before you sell them? :puffy:

uperepik

(Oldtown)
Mar 8, 2017
I have to say both the pipes I used the tongue oil on look pretty stinking good, although I probably won't use it in the future. And smoked it tonight, this thing is awesome

uperepik

(Oldtown)
Mar 8, 2017
This is what it looked like originally, I don't think it was ever smoked but a few times before I bought it.
image_zpsjkje8bb3.jpeg

uperepik

(Oldtown)
Mar 8, 2017
Man I used whatever the enhance feature is on my phone and it made the wood in the background look a different color. Uh oh, Is that considered photoshopping. I'm ready for eBay

uperepik

(Oldtown)
Mar 8, 2017
I just don't know how advantageous it is. Seems like it may just be another unneeded step.

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
I have finished pipes with only wax, and it doesn't work. Needs a base to set up on. Thin shellac polished basically off and waxed on top is pretty usual. I've tried Tung oil with okay results but know lots of pipe makers who use it as part of their finish. Same with Linseed. Walnut oil I have tried and it has a really funny ability to penetrate and wick through briar, like right through 1/2 inch of briar, which no other finishes do or even come close to. I've used water borne urethanes.
Nobody's ever said beans about it.

macysdad

Lurker
Sep 7, 2017
NEWBIE to pipes here. I am gonna carve my own. bought a pre drilled block of pear wood. im fine with carving. ive been carving for ~37 years. but what is the proper way to finish it. i was just gonna wax it and leave it. i prefer all natural finishes when possible. but being a pipe? im at a loss. reading all of your comments, i never would have thought of oil on it. to me, wax seems most logical.

Status
Not open for further replies.