PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bubblehead33

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 17, 2012
Canada
hey all! quick question about Tsuge pipes. anyone have one and what do you think of it? do they smoke well? im looking at some of the lower end pieces and curious as to what theyre like.

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
Yeah there are a few of us here wondering the same thing. I remember this post coming up before. I love some of those lower end Tsuges myself but I just don't know anyone who has smoked one that could give a review of its smoking characteristics.

danno

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 5, 2011
These have actually just recently got on my PAD Radar. I try to remain a practical smoker, but the collector in me always seems to surface on the full moon.

I've been looking for a nice one with a lot of Birdseye on the sides of the bowl.

(I'm on a Birdseye kick lately). He seems to have a sense of design that I would say is intuitive, with his forms being very appealing to the eye, while suggesting that they are comfortable and pleasant to smoke. I just missed one on this forum that was going for $200.00. I would have had no problem paying it for that particular pipe.

adam12

May 16, 2011
We had a Tsuge thread, but the search feature being what it is, I can't find it.

adam12

May 16, 2011
Here it is
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/would-like-opinion-on-tsuge

nemrod

Can't Leave
Apr 28, 2011
Sweden
I have a Tsuge e-star 9 sports bent apple, the cheapest you can get from Tsuge and actually made in Italy. I think this particular series is only sold in beginners' packages for under $40 (not on sale like on smokingpipes.com) with tool, lighter, cleaners and pipe (I was in Japan and had no pipe gear with me, very convenient). Given all that you probably can't judge their other lines that are made in Japan by it, but for what it's worth it's great. Better than the $90 Chacom I got at the same time, actually. :(
A8323_M1.jpg

Other than that I've heard good things but I don't think I've ever heard bad things about Tsuge. Selective memory because I love and used to live in Japan? Maybe. Maybe not.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
got a small tomato tsuge. cheap about 40 bucks.pulled the stinger out and its a damn good little morning smoker, bought a high end ibeaka or something like that from lonestar.didn"t smoke it yet. been busy with my garden. when i do i"ll let you"all know Tbradsim the old cajun

bubblehead33

Mar 17, 2012
Canada
thanks for the info guys. theres some nice ones on sale at smokingpipes.com, was thinking about grabbing one but wanted a bit of feedback before i pull the trigger.

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
I have a friend who has a top of the line ichibana (or whatever it is) series and he says it smokes horrible, personally I plan on staying away

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
I've never owned one, but looking at the selection on smokingpipes.com I would choose one of their lower-end lines (E-Star, Mizki or Kaga) over Dr. Grabow due to their vulcanite bits, no filters, and consistent draft diameter.
That's surprising about the Ikebana line, jchaplick. Did your friend give any details about what makes it smoke "horrible"? Engineering? Materials? Execution?

kamikazesasquatch

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2011
The one I have smokes OK but the bowl is both too narrow and too shallow for it to be practical for me to use. Just pay attention to the bowl dimensions and make sure you get something you like.

Status
Not open for further replies.