PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipeinhand

Lifer
Sep 23, 2011
Virginia
I love me some churchwardens but, for your first one go for the bent. It will be easier to take with you when you go out and then you can work up to the porch sitting pipes.

:puffy:

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I have to add to that silver banded Sav. I like my churchwarden, but I would not choose that as a beginner pipe. And I would also second the suggestion to grab a cob and another blend to give you more variety, and to get the free shipping! :puffy:
Welcome to the pipe world, too!

cajunguy

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 22, 2012
Metairie, LA
I'd recommend the second pipe of the two choices -- the silver band. Churchwardens are wonderful smokers and there is a guilty pleasure in feeling just a wee bit like Gandalf when smoking one, but convenience and practicality are major factors. I definitely like that you've narrowed your choice to Savinelli pipes. For the price, they are amazing instruments: good smokers, well made, and many of them are quite beautifully crafted.
As for tobacco, I can only speak from experience: I started with an aromatic and loved it so much that I stuck with it, eventually trying Balkans and English blends. Lane's 1Q is an excellent choice (good cut, easy to light), but my favorite aromatic at the moment is called Altadis' Black Kathy (it is a much more potent smoke, though).
No matter what you choose, good luck, god speed, and welcome to the brotherhood of briar.

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
I would go with a nice meerschaum lined gourd calabash! Short of that, the Trevi's a sound choice.
:wink:

mrhooker93

Might Stick Around
Oct 11, 2011
Definitely go for the silver band pipe. As stated above, Churchwardens are nice pipes, but are rather bulky and could not be your best friend when trying to carry it around and such.

tokerpipes

Lifer
Jan 16, 2012
Eatonville, WA
If you are as green to smoking a pipe as you sound the first thing you want to do is get familiar with cleaning the pipe everything else will come as you get the experience. Most guys go for the gold and get a Churchwarden or a really cool bent pipe, not bad but it can be frustraiting when you are learning the mechanics of smoking and cleaning. I suggest for a green pipe smoker to start with a strait stem basket pipe. 2 reasons.
1- you will learn the ease of cleaning a pipe if it straitstemed especially when learning the air controle to prevent the GURGGLE. with a strait stem you can simply run a pipe cleaner through the strait stem and get the moisture.

2_ if you decide its not your bag. your only out $20-50. you ewould be Pi$$ed if yo dropped a wad of cash on a pipe you are going to get frustraited with.
Once you get the rudiments of smoking and cleaning and start acctually enjoying the relaxation of a pipe then upgrade.

maineyachtie

Can't Leave
Aug 14, 2010
Both packages look great. Choose the pipe you prefer the look of. Either pipe is going to be an evening smoker anyway. Eventually grab some less expensive briar pipes for knocking about the yard or town. Enjoy.

treeder13

Might Stick Around
Apr 16, 2012
Hmmm there is a straight set http://www.pipesandcigars.com/pigisetpatit1.html but as I keep being told to go with one I like the thing about cobs and straight pipes is I find it very hard to find one I actually like. Btw thanks for all the help so far! :D

tokerpipes

Lifer
Jan 16, 2012
Eatonville, WA
So you know the pipes in those sets are not the best quality.The are Sav's which are good starter pipes, and are starter/ gift sets. Check out the estates on P&C or one of the other's on here, there you can get a great quality pipe for a fraction of the price it would be brand new... Plus they are usually already proven good smokers.
Also many of the guys on here sell and trade estates that are realy great on the wallet not to mention normaly well cared for.
I would say IMO it realy depends how much pipe smoking you intend on doing. I smoke 5-8 bowls a day so I tend to get knock about pipes and a few big name pipes for relaxing at home. But hell do what you feel like doing mate...welcome to the brotherhood of pipe smokers.

lifeon2

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 19, 2012
denver co
yep I would go with the second set you chose also another vote on the cobs grab yourself a diplomat and a country gentleman.

treeder13

Might Stick Around
Apr 16, 2012
Hmmm I've got a possible deal from a guy on here does anyone know about these EA Carey pipes? His offer is two of them and some tobacco to help get me started what say you guys?

unit562

Lurker
Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
Please consider the Falcon Pipe range. Cool to smoke. I personally think they look coll as well.

the bowls are replacible and cheap. So you can very quickly and cheaply have a bowl for each day of the week, or blend you smoke.

I understand that they are not everyones cup of tea, but seems like a good place to start.

slowpuffer

Might Stick Around
Apr 9, 2012
treeder,
I wouldn't second guess yourself too much. Go with your initial instinct. Like I mentioned earlier, you have selected a quality product. As you learn the ways of the briar you will have plenty of time to refine your pipe and tobaccos tastes. I started off with a Dr. Grabow from Walgreen's and some Lane Cherry Cavendish and I loved it. I didn't know what a pipe tool or pipe cleaners even were and I lit my first bowl with a bic utility lighter. I think many would disagree with that starting combo, but I think it was a great introduction to the world of pipes. Your silver band starter set is far better than what I started with!

treeder13

Might Stick Around
Apr 16, 2012
Thanks puffer i think that's what i've decided on i'm thinking about just flipping a coin to pick between the churchwarden or the normal I like them both and lots of peoples arguments for the churchwarden not being a travel pipe i dont smoke anywhere but home >.

slowpuffer

Might Stick Around
Apr 9, 2012
My only caveat emptor with the churchwarden is that you will want to order 2 or 3 additional bundles of pipe cleaners with it. You will want to use the cleaners liberally after smoking and you can't get churchwarden pipe cleaners everywhere.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Yeah. Curchwarden pipe cleaners aren't easy to come by in most areas. I'm lucky since they make the pipe cleaners that most of us use right here in town. I can even get the BJ Longs colored pipe cleaners. Not sure what I'd use them for...
-Jason
P.S.- I've moved this to the Pipe Talk sub-forum.

philip

Lifer
Oct 13, 2011
Puget Sound
I can even get the BJ Longs colored pipe cleaners. Not sure what I'd use them for...
flowers(25).jpg

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Tobacco-wise I'd suggest getting some different things. Lane 1-Q is a popular aromatic, I'd maybe get a cherry blend like CAO Cherry Bomb or MacBaren 7 Seas Red. Actually, any of the 7 Seas line are worth the money. I'd get an English and P&C is a great place for those. Black House and Magnum Opus are my favorites and many people enjoy the Frog Morton blends. I can personally reccommend Frog Morton on the Bayou. I recently tried G.L. Pease Sextant and it is very complex and spicy. Nothing someone used to smoking cigars can't handle, though. In addition to P&C I'd give Nat Sherman a ring and order some of their Riverside Whiskey blend. It's a not-too-aro aromatic with a mild and smooth flavor.

jaysin

Lifer
Feb 8, 2012
Indiana
go with a smaller bowl straight stem as of right now your not sure if the pipe is suited for your tasts.

If you want to get a few pipes for about what the one would cost to get started and have 3 in your rotation I sugest Mr. Brogs cheep and smoke very well and you can get 3 for around 60 bucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.