Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
I was out in my car with the window cracked this morning, smoking a lovely blend called Scotty's Butternut Burley. I love it in the mornings, especially when it's crisp outside. A guy I work with smelled it and asked me about it and I told him what it was. He asked me if they had something similar in cigars and I told him I had no idea since I've only smoked a few in my life.

Well he and his wife are having a baby due in a few weeks and he thought it would be nice to celebrate with some cigars and he wondered if they had any that smelled the same way. This is kind of a long shot, but figured I'd ask anyway. Does anyone know of a cigar type that may be similar in aroma? I honestly don't know much about cigars so I don't even know if the same aroma is possible, but if they do make it, could someone point me in the right direction?

I know this could be hard to find, especially if you don't know what Scotty's Butternut Burley smells like, but it's very much akin to 1Q or RLP-6 in aroma, if that helps at all.

MUWAT Kentucky Fire Cured sticks. They are my absolute favorite cigar.
Tuscanos are fire cured as well. I've had a couple that the wraps were in the green range that were the most similar to a Virginia that I have ever had in a cigar. But, I can't remember the brand or name. They were given to me at a pipe show.

Russ made a latakia cigar, and I have a couple still stowed back in my humidor, but I think they are out of production now... Spectres. He made a complimentary pipe tobacco from it as well. But, the problem is how the touch of the cigar on the lips changes the flavors and experience, so pipe tobacco and cigars are inherently different by the nature of how we use them.

I have rolled Virginia cigars with a red VA wrapper, but the problem is that it still has that cigary flavor, but more in the cigarette range of flavors. I didn't enjoy them.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'd recommend just going for a tasty relatively mild but good tasting cigar to hand out to "everyone." I think going after a pipe aroma from a cigar in order to find an appealing cigar is too much of a reach. Many who would enjoy a cigar don't smoke them regularly so may not enjoy anything too distinctive anyway. A heart-to-heart conversation with a cigar shop manager and/or an experienced cigar smoker who can think in terms beyond his or her own taste would come up with good recommendations. Think about the guy or gal who hasn't smoked a cigar in a few years but would enjoy a mild one with traditional flavor and aroma. There you go.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
I haven't had Butternut Burley, but the best quality flavored cigars are made by Drew Estate and Oliva. Maybe the Nub Fall Seasonal which is described as having "pumpkin spice" type flavor or some of the DE Acid varieties.. Also, there's the CAO flavors line which has some different options. There probably won't be a great match for that specific blend, but if your friend likes the smell of aromatic tobacco, maybe there is a good choice for him among what is available.

Reactions: hobie1dog

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
If you want aromatic notes, danimalia is on point, CAO flavours (which mirror the names their aromatic pipe tobacco blends, moontrance, Eileen's Dream, etc.) and Drew Estate are the route you want to go.

Reactions: hobie1dog

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
[QUOTE="cosmicfolklore, post: 35995581, member:

Russ made a latakia cigar, and I have a couple still stowed back in my humidor, but I think they are out of production now... Spectres. He made a complimentary pipe tobacco from it as well.
[/QUOTE]

I've looked darn near everywhere trying to find someone who had a Spectre cigar so that I could try it. Is there a chance you would part with one?

Thanks,
Marty

leafsmoker

Can't Leave
Oct 26, 2017
Indiana, USA
A good mild cigar that has botanicals is the acid line by drew estate. Cold tea infusion is a mild one that I can not think most people will not like. Plenty of aromatic flavor that is not strong.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
But, the problem is how the touch of the cigar on the lips changes the flavors and experience, so pipe tobacco and cigars are inherently different by the nature of how we use them.
There's always this route...
KvVzgnY.jpg

badbriar

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 17, 2012
Suncoast Florida by the Beach
If you want top shelf infused, try Javas. The dark Maduro smells just like German chocolate cake! Another, lower cost, but nice infused line is Tabak. Third would be Isla Del Sol.
I recommended these to my new cigar people to start with when I was with a cigar shop.
IMHO, most Acids are awful! - many smell like burning potpourri and are offensively expensive. Very few new cigar smokers that I've seen try them were happy with the choice. Just sayin'

sumusfumus

Jul 20, 2017
New York City
When it comes to cigars...I know absolutely nothing....don't laugh, but just asking:

Can Butternut Burley pipe tobacco be hand-rolled into a cigar by a cigar maker? Maybe a mild, flavorless wrapper with BB as the filler?

Too costly????

badbriar

Oct 17, 2012
Suncoast Florida by the Beach
Maybe... not sure where you are, but say if you're in Florida - go to Ybor City and there are several shops that frequently have torcedores. If you were to drop them a double-sawbuck or so, I'd bet you could get your stuff rolled.
Get it done in a nice dark Maduro wrapper - adds sweetness.

Reactions: danimalia
Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
I hate to say it.. There's a cigar out there that is made with pipe tobacco, it probably has the aroma you're looking for but... Its not exactly considered a nice gift and I'm not allowed to talk about them here. Haha

shhh.. Its black and milds

• Haha
Reactions: danimalia

magicpiper

Jul 9, 2018
MCO
If you want top shelf infused, try Javas. The dark Maduro smells just like German chocolate cake! Another, lower cost, but nice infused line is Tabak. Third would be Isla Del Sol.
I recommended these to my new cigar people to start with when I was with a cigar shop.
IMHO, most Acids are awful! - many smell like burning potpourri and are offensively expensive. Very few new cigar smokers that I've seen try them were happy with the choice. Just sayin'
I second the Javas. I don't usually like the sweet stuff but I have to admit they're good.

carcosa

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 21, 2013
Yep, I am new to cigars but have tried the Java, it’s a great smoke and have a few in my humidor. You might want something milder, but for a one time smoke it would be great... I have been a pipe smoker for 7 years and cigars are definitely different and stronger flavored than pipe tobacco. You will be disappointed if you smoke a cigar and expect it to be like a pipe

Status
Not open for further replies.