PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

corwinmortac

Lurker
Sep 25, 2017
Hi All,
Have been a long time smoker and collector but just found out recently that my Great Great Grandfather was a semi-famous carver in NY back at the turn of the century. I have always just purchased new or older pipes based on look at the theme of my collection. I have never tried searching out a specific carver and its proving difficult. Many of the pipe cases that have survived don't have full or legible details on the origins. So I thought I would reach out to the forum to see if anyone could assist.
The carver I am looking for was J. Mirejovsky , according to write-ups in the pre 1920's he was seen as the last master carver practicing in Manhattan at the time. I have found a few references on the net from an old tobacconist review and colliers , and there are a few references to his pipes being purchased at estate sales around the country over the past 10+ years.
1. Are there any speciality sites for pipes like an eBay of pipe aficionados ?

2. Anyone here ever hear of any of this carvers work?

3. Are there any speciality stores known maybe in the northeast that have large collections and good details, maybe just not online?
Thanks a lot for the quick read hope to hear from some of you.
Edited by jvnshr: Title capitalization.

brightleaf

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 4, 2017
https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/antique-meerschaum-pipe-skull-pipe-1816928685
There is also this photo listed in one of our threads, the image was posted by misterlowercase

MNY206740.jpg

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/cigar-store-indians-and-trade-figures

The image's original url is collections.mcny.org/Doc/MNY/Media/TR3/2/8/d/9/MNY206740.jpg
In reading his listing in the Retail Tobacconist, Volume 12 1921 and looking at that picture I would guess his shop address was 1386 2nd Ave New York

jonasclark

Aug 4, 2013
Seattle
I've never heard of this man, and I feel bad that I haven't! I would assume that, like the Fischers, more famous carvers of the era, he did not carve his signature into his pipes? But perhaps his shop had a maker's label in the pipe cases? Gustave Fischer doesn't seem to have used a branded label, but Paul Fischer (unrelated, and made plainer pipes) certainly did.

brightleaf

Sep 4, 2017
I thought to post a couple pics found from two different listings from Worthpoint via Ebay. I am also including a picture with caption from the Colliers article found in their October 7, 1916 publication.

An Eagle Claw

mirejovsky1.jpg

A Skull pipe

mirejovsky2-600x430.jpg

J. Mirejovsky carving pipes, from Colliers

mirejovsky-colliers.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.