PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

KruegerFlap

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 3, 2021
Ohio
I kind of hate the idea of graduating to a blend style. They're all a matter of taste. And yeah taste evolves and changes but it's not a linear thing. I kind of go back and fourth in what I smoke more accurate way to put it is that now I have a better idea of what I am in the mood for at what times.
Well said! I think far too often we get the wrong idea that we have to like a blend just because it gets high marks on review sites or we hear others ranting and raving how "this" is the greatest tobacco ever and everything else is crap compared to it. Smoking a pipe is about what the individual likes and that's it. No need to over complicate things by trying to pound square pegs in round holes while smoking tobacco you hate because everyone says you should love it.

Wheels

Might Stick Around
Mar 19, 2024
Orange county, California
I haven't acquired the ability to taste all the tobacco flavors I read about. But, I do enjoy simple blends like Duke Albert. Maybe it's not worth the effort and expense for me to try to find my perfect tobacco. Maybe I'm a codger. I can live with that.

Reactions: KruegerFlap

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Lat blend is typically suggested to the new smoker because Lat is really easy to identify and enjoy. Where as aromatics are tend to be on the wet side, and cause tongue bite with new smokers. VA burns hot, so that's rather set aside too.

Codger blends and Lat blends usually burns cool and smoke easy with minimum effort.

English blends are typically made with VA base with Latakia, Oriental, and some other components. However Lat burns cooler.

WirelessSmoke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 14, 2024
New England
I haven't acquired the ability to taste all the tobacco flavors I read about. But, I do enjoy simple blends like Duke Albert. Maybe it's not worth the effort and expense for me to try to find my perfect tobacco. Maybe I'm a codger. I can live with that.
Nothing wrong with that, smoke what you enjoy. I have blends that I smoked for months not knowing what I was tasting but just knew I liked them and that was good enough for me. Some blends took months before I had a feel for what I was tasting. If aromatics are your thing, there's no shortage of blends to explore in that one category alone.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Well said! I think far too often we get the wrong idea that we have to like a blend just because it gets high marks on review sites or we hear others ranting and raving how "this" is the greatest tobacco ever and everything else is crap compared to it. Smoking a pipe is about what the individual likes and that's it. No need to over complicate things by trying to pound square pegs in round holes while smoking tobacco you hate because everyone says you should love it.
heck yeah. It's funny when I smoke those star blends that are raved about often I find them meh and every once in a while totally agree. Honestly at the end of the day we're weirdos that burn leafs in a fancy tube for pleasure. And man there are a lot of gems that just don't get attention.

• Love

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Lat blend is typically suggested to the new smoker because Lat is really easy to identify and enjoy. Where as aromatics are tend to be on the wet side, and cause tongue bite with new smokers. VA burns hot, so that's rather set aside too.

Codger blends and Lat blends usually burns cool and smoke easy with minimum effort.

English blends are typically made with VA base with Latakia, Oriental, and some other components. However Lat burns cooler.
I agree totally. Never got a bite out of an English blend.