PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sigbullet

Lurker
Apr 14, 2019
Tennessee
So I usually enjoy aromatics and just recently have begun to venture into English blends a little. I have a separate pipe for the English blends that I am trying, but I’ve been thinking of trying some latika also. What do you all suggest brand or blend wise as a good first latika to bust that cherry? I’m not gonna break the bank for it, but I’m not looking to buy something super cheap that will turn me away forever either. I’d love suggestions on what your favorites are and what works to get the feet wet.
Also, is a cob a good way to go when venturing into new waters? Figured that or an inexpensive estate just to try new things like that? All input welcomed, thanks.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
Cobs are good for trying stuff out, yes.

You say you've ventured into english blends. Well, they have latakia in them by definition.

Anyway, when I first tried latakia blends I fell for Rattray's Red Rapparee and Dunhill Nightcap. Dunhill is no more and as I understand Rattray's are hard to come by over there. Someone will point you in the direction of a decent american latakia blend. There must be thousands, so don't worry.

elasmo

Can't Leave
Mar 23, 2019
Cornell and Diehl Star of the East Flake and G.L. Pease Quiet Nights are cream of the crop methinks.

redglow

Lifer
Jan 7, 2019
Michigan
Try some GL Pease Quiet Nights. Every time I smoke this, I am just amazed. It's so good.
There are so many to try though. This is one of a myriad of English tobaccos. I like them all.
Right now, I'm smoking GL Pease Gaslight. Another gem......

acidpox

Can't Leave
Nov 18, 2018
I'm a big fan of Captin Earl's Nightwatch. First lat bomb I tried and I still one a order a tin of it every 2nd or 3rd tobacco order i make just so i dont run out. I'm not a huge latakia smoker but when I'm in the mood that's the one a load up.

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
Gaslight is great. Try medal of Valor in bulk from lane. It is very good but nowhere near gaslight good

Jan 8, 2013
Hearth & Home Blackhouse. Blackhouse was the first blend I ever tried containing latakia and is what made me love Balkan/English blends. If you want to try a great crossover blend (aromatic/english), try Kramer's Blend For Cary Grant. If you want to try something extremely light on the latakia, try Cornell & Diehl's Black Frigate.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I once read somewhere; that English blends are NOT defined by nor do they require Latakia.

It's more of a 'purity law' like with German beer.

I've enjoyed many a blend with Latakia, pounds of it even, but my tastes have become less receptive.

Hearth and Home 10 to Midnight was a nice tasty and milder lat blend I enjoyed.

aro222

Can't Leave
Mar 17, 2018
Toronto Ontario, Canada
You and i share the same voyage. I am an aromatic smoker 1st off and within the last couple months wanted to begin the journey into some new blends. I began with Lakelands, G&H Bobs Chocolate Flake and Ennerdale. Love them now. Next was Latakia and English, C&D Pirate Kake, Lane HGL, GL Pease Gaslight and Quiet Nights, C&D Ten Russians, Sillems Black, SPC Plum Pudding SR. These were all fantastic and highly recommended (Pirate Kake is my favourite for latakia) Now i'm not sure where C&D Black Frigate falls into...its a bit of an English/Aromatic i guess, not sure, but whatever it is, just get a tin of it. You won't be disappointed. It is one of my favourites now and in the rotation for good. Have fun on your journey and try as much as you can along the way. Thats what makes this hobby of ours so interesting.

eslavs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 19, 2019
Sarasota, Florida
I too started that journey a few months ago. I will second Quiet Nights, Gaslight and Black Frigate. C&D's Mountain Camp is another good one to try, available in bulk.

sumusfumus

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2017
New York City
Ditto: Lane Ltd. "HGL" aromatic-English with just enough Latakia to keep "Captain Black"-original, interesting. "HGL" is Captain Black with a slight amount of Latakia for some added flavor interest, and to prevent the smoker from going into a coma. Nice fragrance to keep the skirts happy.

tulsagentleman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2019
As MSO suggested in another thread, you should buy small quantities of a variety of blends to see what you like. Save them to try again later as your tastes will change and the tobacco might get better with a little age. My personal favorite Latakia is Quiet Nights as others have suggested. A friend recently sent me a sample of Boswell's Northwoods which I liked a lot.I refer to Tobaccoreview when considering a new blend. Have fun trying different things and let us know what you have tried and how you liked them.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Some milder English blends that would be good starters and inexpensive in bulk, you might like Peter Stokkebye English Luxury or Sutliff Lord Nelson, and if you want some tinned but not real expensive, a refined nicely balanced blend is Nat Sherman 536. You can always go stronger blend or stronger Lat after that, but I'd start mild to see if you like the concept.

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
I notice that you will be in Germany. Tabak aus Kiel/Motzek has a very nice, beginner friendly, and also affordable English called "Herbst 84".

nunnster

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 17, 2019
I can tell you what I did, as I have just gotten into them myself a couple of months ago. I fell in love with clut conspiracy, I believe it's a light aromatic with lat in it, and it was the perfect introduction to the leaf for me. Before it, the smell and taste of lat repulsed me. I smoked thru several tins and found that I was wanting more smokeyness after I got used to it. Since then I've tried a few english that ive loved,and currently dealing with one that's kinda so so. But all in all, I'm glad I learned to enjoy them

Status
Not open for further replies.