PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
I haven't smoked as many G&H blends as the OP. I have smoked Dark Flake Scented, Black Irish X, and Brown Twist Sliced, and detected 0 menthol in any of them. I find this unusual, because menthol typically has a pretty strong presence.
Btw, forget Kools and Newports. If you want menthol, get yourself a pack of American Spirits in the dark green box.
(I've been known to smoke a menthol cigarette on certain occasions that involve, shall we say, a lack of sobriety.)
How thoroughly did you dry those GH blends? Did they come in bulk or tin? The menthol is more present in stuff with green labels I believe

gerryp

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 8, 2018
Arabi, LA
How thoroughly did you dry those GH blends? Did they come in bulk or tin? The menthol is more present in stuff with green labels I believe

All were bulk, no significant drying time. I wonder why there would be a difference in the tins...hmm.....

FWIW, the SG products I've tried (Kendal Cream, Chocolate Flake, Bothy Flake) were tinned, and I didn't get any menthol in them.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
All were bulk, no significant drying time. I wonder why there would be a difference in the tins...hmm.....

FWIW, the SG products I've tried (Kendal Cream, Chocolate Flake, Bothy Flake) were tinned, and I didn't get any menthol in them.
Ah there’s your problem. Bulk or SG blends don’t come in a green bag/tin, which according to old trusty is the key for understanding which blends are laced with menthol.

you might find their warhorse review enlightening

gerryp

Oct 8, 2018
Arabi, LA
Ah there’s your problem. Bulk or SG blends don’t come in a green bag/tin, which according to old trusty is the key for understanding which blends are laced with menthol.

you might find their warhorse review enlightening

I think you mean my lack of problem.

gerryp

Oct 8, 2018
Arabi, LA
Thanks to the OP for his observations on the menthol flavoring and tin labels. Reviews generally go into a bit more detail, other than the tin appearance of these blends which is covered quite extensively by the OP. I like the humor though, so keep it up!

I'd be interested to hear from anyone else who has experienced this omnipresence of menthol in G&H tinned blends. Other than reviews for G&H menthol products, this is the first I've heard of it.

I wonder (and please excuse my ignorance of tobacco processing equipment) if perhaps the gizmos used to process their menthol blends were subsequently used for non-menthol blends, thus transferring menthol flavor. I believe this has happened with the Lakeland juice, or whatever you call that lovely and distinctive floral essence that polarizes the opinions of pipe smokers around the globe.

Raylan

Lurker
Nov 16, 2020
Don't make the newbie mistake I made. I had just opened a beautiful green tin of G&H Rum Flake and was anticipating the wonderful menthol flavour when I was interupted by an emergency at work. Since I had opened the tin I decided to preserve the wonderful menthol flavour by transferring the tobacco into a mason jar until I could return to smoke a pipe. Imagine my horror when upon returning and beginning to smoke a pipe I discovered that by transferring the tobacco from the green tin to the clear mason jar I had removed entirely all the menthol flavour. I was heart broken to say the least. Then luckily I remembered that I still had the tin and I immediately transferred the tobacco back into the tin. After several minutes of excruciating waiting I again loaded a pipe and to my everlasting delight was treated to the wonderful overwelming taste of menthol. Does anyone know where to buy green mason jars?

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Don't make the newbie mistake I made. I had just opened a beautiful green tin of G&H Rum Flake and was anticipating the wonderful menthol flavour when I was interupted by an emergency at work. Since I had opened the tin I decided to preserve the wonderful menthol flavour by transferring the tobacco into a mason jar until I could return to smoke a pipe. Imagine my horror when upon returning and beginning to smoke a pipe I discovered that by transferring the tobacco from the green tin to the clear mason jar I had removed entirely all the menthol flavour. I was heart broken to say the least. Then luckily I remembered that I still had the tin and I immediately transferred the tobacco back into the tin. After several minutes of excruciating waiting I again loaded a pipe and to my everlasting delight was treated to the wonderful overwelming taste of menthol. Does anyone know where to buy green mason jars?

On Amazon, and only a few left, so you better hurry... :ROFLMAO:

1607811351271.jpeg

kurtbob

Lifer
Jul 9, 2019
SE Georgia
Now see, this all makes sense now! I like to unscrew these mason jars and fill them with overly wet tobacco, the tiny light bulb dries it in no time and each jar imparts a specific top note. No, it’s not cheap plastic top note. It’s lime, orange and cranberry accordingly :ROFLMAO:
image.jpg

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
I think this is why Mylar bags have become so popular for cellaring tins.

Status
Not open for further replies.