PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dylan793

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 12, 2011
Buchanan, GA
I recently purchased a tin of Sunset Breeze by Peterson. I've had their Old Dublin and wanted to try an aromatic from them. My first bowl I packed straight from the tin, and as usual slightly on the loose side. I had serious troubles keeping it lit, it produced almost no flavor, and for an aromatic there was almost no aroma! Well. Soldier on. Second bowl straight from the tin packed a little tighter, same problems.
Third time's a charm right? No. This time I let it dry a bit. Packed my usual way, and lit up. It stayed lit a bit better, but I had the same no flavor no aroma issues. So I hit tobaccoreviews.com to research a bit. It sits at a 3 outta 4 with a mixed bag of 'this stuff is great!' And 'this stuff is terrible!' reviews. So my question is: am I missing something? Bad tin? Or bad baccy? Lemme know your thoughts.

francois1

Might Stick Around
Jul 21, 2011
i have been smoking sunset breeze for a while now i dont get the same pleasure now as to when i

first started and have been wondering for a while now if there is something in the quality controll

or have they changed something definately not the same as to when i first started the brand

david(SCOTLAND)

buzkirk

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 14, 2009
Humboldt Tn.
^ second poor quality control, I've had 1 good tin from 06, and 1 lesser quality tin 08.

I'll stick with the CAO/Dan Sweet Vanilla Honeydew as my go to baccy.
Tom

wolfscout

Can't Leave
Dec 13, 2010
Newberry, SC
I've only purchased one large quantity of Sunset Breeze. I've not had a bad smoke from the lot. As to quality control one purchase doesn't rate that for me. It does seem from reading many places that perhaps it is a QC issue. Glad I've not had a recent purchase.

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
No issues to report here . Although it is not a over the top goopy ARO it has subtle flavor that accents rather than detracts from the tobacco flavor .

rls80

Lurker
Jan 2, 2011
It's weird about the QC thing - I had Connoisuers Choice about 1.5 years ago and thought it was great, just got another tin and its nowhere near as nice as before.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I haven't had any troubles with Sunset Breeze. Takes the lighting well and burns pretty evenly. The flavour is a little more subtle than some aromatic blends, but I still enjoy it a lot.

Jul 12, 2011
Could be many things here: QC/bad tin, still too wet/or too dry and

Sometimes the perfect balance of dry-time also has negative effect

on bacci going flat on you because of to much air-time...ahh the wonder

and mystery of the bacci keeps me love'in the hobby....or it could be

Tastes change or that bacci just isn't for you...I have had all of the

Above happen with bacci...so find's perfect balance/zen is still an ongoing

And life-long process :)

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
Have to go with Thesmokingdragon on this one. Years ago I bought a tin of McClelland Dark Star because of all the good reviews I read on it. I found it to be terrible! But when I mixed it with other lighter tobaccos it was much, much better. So if it ain't good...mix it with something else!

dylan793

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 12, 2011
Buchanan, GA
I feel I should post an update on this. I've somewhat reconciled with this blend. I recently purchased some 1/2pint mason jars to store all my baccy for storage/ocd uniform reasons. Upon moving my sunset breeze from tin to jar, I said "why not?" and loaded it into a brand new MM great dane egg. I don't know why, or how but I finally got some flavor and aroma out of this stuff! The flavor had a mildly nutty characteristic and a very very slight sweetness. The amaretto showed up just a bit in the aroma as well. Maybe from disturbing it from its compressed tin form while moving it to the jar stirred something up. I dunno. But at least this is smokable now! 5 bowls in and i feel I can give it my "acceptable" stamp. Probably still wont buy another tin however.

francois1

Might Stick Around
Jul 21, 2011
I MADE A POST ON SUNSET BREEZE A FEW WEEKS AGO ,GAVE IT A BREAK FOR A COUPLE OF WEEKS

ORDERED A TIN A FEW DAYS AGO AND HEI PRESTO GREAT TO SMOKE AGAIN I DONT KNOW IF HAVING A CHANGE

FOR A WHILE OR AS WE HAVE MENTIONED IS THERE A Q/C PROBLEM BUT AM NOW ENJOYING THE BRAND AGAIN

DONT REALY KNOW WHAT THE CHANGE IS BUT SO BE IT I AM CONTENT NOW ,NO INTENTION TURNING THE DIFFERENCES

INTO A WINE TASTEING EXPERENCE

DAVID(scotland)

markw4mms

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Bremen,GA
I said "why not?" and loaded it into a brand new MM great dane egg. I don't know why, or how but I finally got some flavor and aroma out of this stuff!

Some blends seem to do better in a cob than anything else. BTW, it's good to see you back on, I've been wondering where you have been.

dylan793

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 12, 2011
Buchanan, GA
Im a habitual lurker here lol. Think of it like im the guy that's always hanging around but doesn't ever say anything.

flipflopsandshades

Can't Leave
Dec 12, 2010
I have had the same lighting issues with Sunset Breeze. That being said, I absolutely love the stuff as I can definitely taste the Amaretto and other flavors. Maybe you just got a bad batch.

Status
Not open for further replies.