Trouble Keeping Sutliff Ready Rubbed Lit.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

SRider

Lurker
May 22, 2024
North Carolina
"HELP" edited to less dramatic title.

Now that I have your attention, I’m having trouble keeping Sutliff Ready Rubbed Match lit. Any Tips?

Last edited by a moderator:

SRider

Lurker
May 22, 2024
North Carolina
I take a small amount for the very top of the bowl and rub it out to almost powder. Pack that on top and get a good initial light going. That blend takes a bit of attention while smoking but even if it does go out, no worries, just tamp and relight.
Thanks for the suggestion. I’ll definitely try that with the next bowl.

Reactions: Briarcutter

SmokingInTheWind

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 24, 2024
New Mexico
I take a small amount for the very top of the bowl and rub it out to almost powder. I do this for many cube cuts. Pack that on top and get a good initial light going. That blend takes a bit of attention while smoking but even if it does go out, no worries, just tamp and relight.

Along the same lines, a pinch of shag cut Five Brothers on the top makes great “kindling“, and gives an added nic boost.

Ryan

Administrator
Sep 30, 2021
Noblesville Indiana USA
I smoke this often and I second the gravity feed. I would also the echo the advice about making sure it is well lit. Once you get the pack and lighting down this stuff actually burns pretty well.

Reactions: SRider

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Another thing to try is really light the tobacco. I'm not being a wise guy... when I light a cube cut or rough flake, I don't take away the flame once the tobacco seems well lit; I give another couple of seconds. It works for me, it might help you too.
same here or for fold and stuff too. Really helps and doesn't char the tongue like one might assume.

Reactions: grimpeur and SRider