PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

corncobguy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 3, 2012
So i finally tried my first tins of tobacco and i was blown away. As of late i have been smoking 1Q and PS english oriental and really liked them. I decided to get some tins from Pipes and cigars ( and shipping was super fast by the way) and give them a shot. I got Petersons Sherlock Holmes and at first i didnt care for it but after about 15 or so bowls and 4 or 5 different pipes later i really liked it. I also got Larrys blend and Dunhill Nightcap and was completely blown away. I can see why every one who enjoys latakia likes them. I too enjoy latakia but i had a problem with the two english blends. Because i was smoking so much of the Sherlock Holmes i kinda developed a taste for it and it took me a while to really enjoy the latakia again. Does that happen alot when you switch blends or is that just my inexperience creeping in?

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
I'm right behind you. I just cracked my 1st tin too and didnt care much for it. The tobacco was too "twiggy". But on the other hand, i only have 1 bowl in. I also bought some Sherlock Holmes too but i haven't cracked it open yet. I now have about 15 mason jars filled with various blends I've gotten at B&Ms.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I suppose if you smoked a lot of one blend, exclusively,you might have trouble switching to a new one. I've never been in that situation, though.

Sep 27, 2012
Upland, CA.
I suppose if you smoked a lot of one blend
But is 15 bowls really allot? might be the inexperience maybe?
corncobguy... I would say if your just starting out, you should try as many different tobaccos as you possibly can... keep note of what your favorites are and why then you can slowly pick up an extra tin or bag of your favorites as you go. There are TONS of different blends out there. Ive been smoking for 20 years and there are still allot of blends I havent tried.

Its a fantastic journey for sure... enjoy :puffy:

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
I'm still learning as I go, but I find I'm better off smoking Virginia/Periques BEFORE anything with Latakia. If I smoke something a little Latakia-ish, then it seems to dull my taste buds for a bit.
Sometimes coffee helps me pick apart a blend better too. It's like the contrast of the bitter coffee lets me pick out the Virginia's sweetness a bit better. I don't like smoking without something to drink, my taste buds get kinda "blah" and not from tongue bite either.
Welcome aboard!

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Because i was smoking so much of the Sherlock Holmes i kinda developed a taste for it and it took me a while to really enjoy the latakia again. Does that happen alot when you switch blends or is that just my inexperience creeping in?
This is a case where 1Q comes to the rescue.

If your palate is a bit overwhelmed by 'the good stuff' take a short hiatus and smoke only 1Q over the course of a couple-three days. This (IMHO) will basically reset your palate and those boutique blends will really pop!
Some folks'll send some good natured ribbing my way for extolling the virtues of Lane 1Q...

But, truth is truth.

Don't give up on the "Q".

:puffy:

corncobguy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 3, 2012
Thanks guys and im not going to give up on 1Q. Like i said i really like it. Im gonna give that a try and smoke only that for a couple of days

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
corncobguy:
I'll just add that you may find that you prefer one kind of blend in the morning, something different later, and maybe even a third option later in the day. It's also not unheard of for your own mood, the weather, or the pipe you're smoking to affect the kind of smoking experience you're having at any given time.
For me, I give any blend at least 3-5 bowls before I can decide if I'm going to love it or not. (Some blends take just a couple of puffs before I'm in love. But those are rare.) At the same time, I can tell within half a bowl if I'm going to hate something. When that happens, I don't push it. I might let the blend sit in a jar for weeks (or months, if I'm really reluctant to go back to it), and then give it another shot. But I've also tossed some blends at that point.
I typically keep 5-6 tins open at any one time, moving among them as the mood strikes me. They're not all in the same category, though. I keep a Balkan, an English, a straight Virginia, and Penzance going at all times. I might also have an aromatic (which I rarely dip into) and a Virginia/burley flake or a Scottish (which I define as a nonaromatic featuring unflavored cavendish). Because I dedicate certain pipes to certain kinds of blends, I may choose my tobacco based on the pipe I'm wanting to smoke, and vice versa.
Not everyone likes this kind of variety, though. I've been on a forum with a guy who smoked nothing but Penzance for years. (I love Penzance -- it's my go-to blend -- but I really like sampling a much wider range.)
Enjoy -- and welcome!
Bob

roberted5

Lurker
Jan 8, 2013
One thing with tinned tobacco or fresh from the humidor can be a little too moist and I find effects my taste-buds.

Try taking out a bowlful,let it air dry until it's a little dry on outside but damp on inside or experiment until you find what suits your taste.You can ball it up and count as it falls apart,tip from another smoker,which if it stay in a ball too long it's too damp.Too fast and it's too dry.

Also blends do pack different or it make take a few bowls to fine tune packing for that tobacco type.I just went through some tip of tongue bit.I wasn't use too a large rough mix,I had to really pack it down.
Taste did change for me.I went from heavy Latakia and black cavendish to mainly all types of VA but I still like a light Latakia blend but more for notes it produces.Dunhill EMP is a must have and HH Black House is really starting to grow on me.It's a light latakia mix and there's another made by Russ Magnus Opus that is a good smoke.

Status
Not open for further replies.