PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
Back when I first felt the hankerin to be a pipe smoker I did what most folks my age do - google it!
I can remember browsing a couple retail sites and it seemed to me a commonality was the presence of Peterson pipes. From reading retailers little blurbs about the brand I was convinced - seemed like a good place to start.

So! It seemed perfectly logical to pick a shape that stood out to me. A GREEN dublin church warden! Why not?!
Boring story short, it was not a good place to start. A couple weeks later it became an estate pipe at SP.
Clearly I needed more experience so I opted for more conservative shapes for a while.

Months later I had become more experienced and much more knowledgeable about shapes and brands and history (thanks in part to this forum and podcast).
I grew curious about these system pipes that Peterson invented. The P-Lip was another feature that sparked my wonder. So I threw caution and a couple hundred American dollars to the wind and bought a new Peterson System Deluxe.
It had VERY nice cross grain, bold and shiny sterling silver, and one of those P-Lip stems that promised no tongue bite!
To be sure, the pipe was gorgeous. A gorgeous learning experience for me indeed. I HATE the P-Lip. Hate it. Detest it. Doesn't work with my oral physiology. So again I made an estate deposit to SP.

By now I was really getting a handle on what I liked shape wise and size wise. Fast forward almost two years and I was really getting in to older pipes. Early 20th century briars were catching my eye and fulfilling my hunger for collecting old things. By chance one afternoon I glanced at the Irish Estates at SP. They had just posted some new additions. One of these was a smooth Straight Peterson billiard complete with a P-Lip from the 30s.
I talked myself into thinking I should give it another shot. Maybe that funny stem attached to a straight pipe would make it more agreeable to me. I really wanted to like it and keep it.
NOPE. See ya later alligator.

So now, a few years later, I haven't considered a Pete in years. I've learned my lesson.
Until last week anyway.
I couldn't believe it when I saw it. A Pete that ticks all the boxes. A small, light, cross grain, spigot bent billiard (shape 65) in the walnut finish. Most importantly, it had a fishtail stem. I felt that old familiar burning in my chest - I had to have it.

...today it arrived. I've been smoking it ('11 Best Brown) while writing this missive. I have to admit I'm impressed both by it's fit and finish, but also it's smoking quality. Comfy and light and not a single gurgle.
A Peterson keeper? I would have never thunk it.

image.jpg

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Com 'on! Give some love to Pete! P-lip is a work of an art. Put you tongue on the tongue rest and just let it sit. Don't need to do much more than that. Love walnut finish. Fishtail is OK. But wish my 106 was a P-lip, but my Deluxe Classic 106 is P-lip, so I can sleep at night. Grain and the shapes are little off lately, but there are few good smokers still out there. That's a nice bent billiard.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
Good post, and good to see you posting again..............
Me?................ I've never found a Pete I like. The P-lip does not work for me, the Old Brit-wood calls my name............... More Pete's for you fans, but they just don't click with me, and they seem HEAVY, No?

Reactions: bluegrassbrian

bluegrassbrian

Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
Com 'on! Give some love to Pete! P-lip is a work of an art. Put you tongue on the tongue rest and just let it sit. Don't need to do much more than that. Love walnut finish. Fishtail is OK. But wish my 106 was a P-lip, but my Deluxe Classic 106 is P-lip, so I can sleep at night. Grain and the shapes are little off lately, but there are few good smokers still out there. That's a nice bent billiard.
I kinda feel like attention to detail has improved the last couple years since Laudisi took the reigns and Giacomo Penzo has been cracking the workshop whip.

Reactions: Streeper541

bluegrassbrian

Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
Good post, and good to see you posting again..............
Me?................ I've never found a Pete I like. The P-lip does not work for me, the Old Brit-wood calls my name............... More Pete's for you fans, but they just don't click with me, and they seem HEAVY, No?
That's been my experience. So when I have looked around I watch out for the smaller models.

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
Wow, really beautiful pipe! Which line is it from?

I've learned similar lessons to you about pipes. Thankfully all of the ones I bought were estates off of Ebay for relatively cheap.

If you do end up not liking certain pipes in the future, you might sell it on Ebay or here rather than SP. I've heard SP doesn't give you much money for estates (even when you opt for store credit) but I guess you'd know better than I would there.

bluegrassbrian

Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
Wow, really beautiful pipe! Which line is it from?

I've learned similar lessons to you about pipes. Thankfully all of the ones I bought were estates off of Ebay for relatively cheap.

If you do end up not liking certain pipes in the future, you might sell it on Ebay or here rather than SP. I've heard SP doesn't give you much money for estates (even when you opt for store credit) but I guess you'd know better than I would there.
This is a Walnut Spigot.

Ive sold pipes on all three. eBay can be a crapshoot as there's no guarantees AND eBay takes their greedy share.
Selling on here can be a great experience and I usually try here first. I've only ever been able to sell one pipe over $300 here though.

I like using SP when they have a pipe I want. Makes the whole estate process more streamlined. If they don't offer me enough I kindly opt for them to send it back.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
The 65 is a great shape, and in spigot form (which I can't recall seeing often), a decadent smoke! Even with that funny looking button ... (vulcanite stem I assume?)

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've been lucky with Petes, right through their quality control hitches several years ago, and no gurgles in any of the six or eight pipes I own. I have wondered, since I bought most of them in the lower price range (for Petes) if that had something to do with my luck. Only one P-lip, no system pipes, not much metal work. Since these pipes require only basic established steps along the assembly line, maybe they have a higher percentage of glitch free units?

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
This is a Walnut Spigot.

Ive sold pipes on all three. eBay can be a crapshoot as there's no guarantees AND eBay takes their greedy share.
Selling on here can be a great experience and I usually try here first. I've only ever been able to sell one pipe over $300 here though.

I like using SP when they have a pipe I want. Makes the whole estate process more streamlined. If they don't offer me enough I kindly opt for them to send it back.
That makes sense using SP when you're buying a pipe from them. I also forgot that you don't have to agree to sell them the pipe if you don't like the price ?

STP

Lifer
Sep 8, 2020
Northeast USA
I have several Petes, and they all smoke great. I only have one P-lip, and it did take some time to get use to it. I have a couple of their system pipes, but never found them to smoke any better than their non-system pipes.

Reactions: SaxonX