PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Being something of a watch collector I have quite a range of pieces from basic three handers to more complicated chronographs and for the most part I love them all.

Of the chronographs I have mine are all of the cam and lever type as opposed to the more complicated (and more expensive) column wheel type. Having always fancied owning a column wheel chrono I went shopping on the web and finally settled on a Longines Master Collection Moonphase Chronograph.

This watch comes in two sizes, 40mm and 42mm. I opted for the larger size mainly because my declining eyesight would make the 40mm that bit harder to read. This watch has no fewer than 8 hands and 3 subdials so the 42mm size allows for better spacing and more comfortable viewing.

This piece will have the most complications of any watch in my collection showing minutes, hours, running seconds, day, date, month, chrono seconds, minutes & hours plus 24 hour indicator and moonphase dial. Those familiar with this watch will know it is based upon the Valjoux 7751 calibre which is a direct descendant of the ubiquitous and bombproof Valjoux 7750 movement found in many quality chronograph watches.

I have the 7750 movement in an Omega Speedmaster Triple Date watch but at only 39mm diameter it barely gets worn due to the fact I can hardly see it!

Back to this Longines, it has a silver/white dial (blue is also available) with guilloche or 'barleycorn' patterning, beautiful blued steel 'leaf' hands and sapphire crystal front and back. It comes on an alligator strap with calfskin backing and quick release stainless steel clasp with engraved logo. The movement ticks at 28,800 BPH, is hackable and has a 54 hour power reserve (the 40mm version only has a 48 hour power reserve). Through the exhibition caseback one can see the lightly decorated movement and once the winding rotor is swung out of the way the beautiful blued steel column wheel can be seen. Shame they never blued the screws used on the movement, penny pinching methinks.

The only downside I can see is the highly polished stainless steel case, I would much prefer it was brushed, I'm not a huge fan of super shiny watches.

Well folks, it's picture time.....enjoy....

long 1.jpg

long 2.jpg

long 3.jpg

long 4.jpg

long 5.jpg

long 6.jpg

Regards,

Jay.

PS: All pictures shamelessly borrowed from the internet.

Last edited:

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
I’ve got the same watch, but on the steel bracelet. I love it, and it was my every day work watch for several years. Just don’t let it wind down unless you’re ok taking ten minutes to set it all up again!

Reactions: mawnansmiff

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"Just don’t let it wind down unless you’re ok taking ten minutes to set it all up again!"

I had to get used to that on my Speedy Triple Date but now I need to find out how to set the moonphase part of the watch. Not expecting delivery for a few days so I have plenty of time to work it out.

Regards,

Jay.?

Reactions: Grangerous

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
I had to get used to that on my Speedy Triple Date but now I need to find out how to set the moonphase part of the watch.
If I recall, the crown halfstop does it. Turned one way, you change the day of the month and the month. Turned the other way, it’s the moonphase. You need a pin to push the little button on the top left for day of the week.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I'm not a watch collector, but I've worn one since I was five years old, and can't live without one. I must say that watch is stunning. An excellent, tasteful purchase that I know you'll enjoy for years. Congrats!

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Those recent Longines Master Collection pieces are really outstanding. My Hydroconquest accuracty is amazing, and it is not a COSC grade movement, so you should be pleased!

I'd have a Chronograph except for I can no longer see the tiny dial markings (as you mention on your 39 mm face). I have a 40 mm Accutron chronograph that is in a box for that reason. (and I used it all the time for work).

crawdad

Lifer
Jul 19, 2019
Virginia
Used to love wrist watches. Always had a few on hand and some were high end. Stopped wearing a watch and stopped being a slave to time. Now I just use my iPhone to tell me the time.

and that sure is a handsome watch.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
Being something of a watch collector I have quite a range of pieces from basic three handers to more complicated chronographs and for the most part I love them all.

Of the chronographs I have mine are all of the cam and lever type as opposed to the more complicated (and more expensive) column wheel type. Having always fancied owning a column wheel chrono I went shopping on the web and finally settled on a Longines Master Collection Moonphase Chronograph.

This watch comes in two sizes, 40mm and 42mm. I opted for the larger size mainly because my declining eyesight would make the 40mm that bit harder to read. This watch has no fewer than 8 hands and 3 subdials so the 42mm size allows for better spacing and more comfortable viewing.

This piece will have the most complications of any watch in my collection showing minutes, hours, running seconds, day, date, month, chrono seconds, minutes & hours plus 24 hour indicator and moonphase dial. Those familiar with this watch will know it is based upon the Valjoux 7751 calibre which is a direct descendant of the ubiquitous and bombproof Valjoux 7750 movement found in many quality chronograph watches.

I have the 7750 movement in an Omega Speedmaster Triple Date watch but at only 39mm diameter it barely gets worn due to the fact I can hardly see it!

Back to this Longines, it has a silver/white dial (blue is also available) with guilloche or 'barleycorn' patterning, beautiful blued steel 'leaf' hands and sapphire crystal front and back. It comes on an alligator strap with calfskin backing and quick release stainless steel clasp with engraved logo. The movement ticks at 28,800 BPH, is hackable and has a 54 hour power reserve (the 40mm version only has a 48 hour power reserve). Through the exhibition caseback one can see the lightly decorated movement and once the winding rotor is swung out of the way the beautiful blued steel column wheel can be seen. Shame they never blued the screws used on the movement, penny pinching methinks.

The only downside I can see is the highly polished stainless steel case, I would much prefer it was brushed, I'm not a huge fan of super shiny watches.

Well folks, it's picture time.....enjoy....

View attachment 55968

View attachment 55969

View attachment 55970

View attachment 55971

View attachment 55972

View attachment 55973

Regards,

Jay.

PS: All pictures shamelessly borrowed from the internet.
Jay, I don’t know much about watches, but it’s a looker. The only nice watch I’ve ever owned was a Jules Jergensen that my wife got for me on our first anniversary. I screwed up one day and forgot I had it on and walked into the NMR room at the organic chem lab when I was doing some undergrad research. The movement got magnetized and ruined. I had a friend who’s a jeweler put a new movement in it, but it didn’t last. I still have it. I wonder if it could be fixed.
Take care of yours and stay away from strong magnetic fields! ?
It’s a beaut. ?

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"My Hydroconquest accuracy is amazing,"

Al, I too have a Hydroconquest 300M Diver, the one with the beautiful blue starburst dial, such a lovely timepiece.

"Always had a few on hand and some were high end."

Crawdad, where else would you wear a wristwatch rotf

Thanks for the kind comments guys.

Regards,

Jay.?

Status
Not open for further replies.