PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

colcolt

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 11, 2012
I have about 10-12 tins of some sample baccy and have opened probably half of them just to smell the aroma and smoked a few. Is it best, once opened, to transfer to a small 8 ounce mason jar at that point to keep it fresh? I've found an 8 ounce jar will hold 50g nicely to the top. I don't know how long it would remain fresh if left in the tins alone.

kabong30

Can't Leave
Jun 2, 2012
I do exactly that. In fact, I just do it when I get the tin. Open it up throw the tobacco in the jar and the jar into the drawer. I think the tins will stay fresh indefinitely if the seal is intact, but I just do it to get it out of the way.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
Walmart has 10oz glass jars that seal really well for $1.90 each, they hold 3oz of tobacco each and I highly recomend them. I have some blends that have stayed in them for 1-2 years without loosing any moisture. The larger ones look like they may not seal real well because the gaskets are cheaper, but 3oz capacity is perfect for me anyways. They have even smaller mason jars than that and larger ones too as well.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Unopened tins will stay fresh forever if they are stored in a cool dark place. I recently opened two 15 year old tins and they were perfect. Once I open a tin, I store them in a plastic jar that has the lock down lid and if I run out of room I have some big plastic tubs that seal nicely.

colcolt

Jun 11, 2012
Once you fill a jar and seal it and go back to it again to open, do you need another seal or can you just reuse the same seal again? My Mom use to can a lot but I don't recall if she did this with food...too many years ago and I can't ask her now.

msandoval858

Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
I try to keep my open tins to a minimum. I've always found that McClelland stuff takes a long time to dry out so I don't worry about those as much. Eveything else I keep in a large tupper ware or air lock type container, in the original tin. If I don't smoke it up within a month or two, I'll transfer to a jar.

kabong30

Can't Leave
Jun 2, 2012
I don't do anything to seal the jars. I just close them up. I've read that some folks will actually seal them if they're going to store them long term (the whole boiling water with the jar or something like that). I don't have any tobacco that I'm storing yet because I'm still figuring out what I like, but I've found that some of the blends that are at the bottom of the rotation appear to be "sealing" on their own and the little "button" on the lid goes down.

danno

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 5, 2011
I use 1/2 pint wide mouth Mason Jars. If I want to "preserve" the freshness I use a foodsaver mason jar attachment that works real well.....when you can get it to catch. The 1/2 pints are much easier due to the flared out jar body being close enough to the lid. That closeness allows the foodsaver attachment to rest on the jar body, making a better seal for vacuuming.
If I want to age, i.e., have nature do it's wonderful nanobit dance, I just close the jar fairly tight by hand. So far, the longest I've kept tobaccos that way was 2.5 years, and it was Dunhill Night Cap and Squadron Leader. They both mellowed a bit, and were very nice, with a nice underlying sweetness. I'd say that they were more palatable than when fresh. I will qualify that by stating that I am predominantly a VA and VaPer smoker.
Once I open a jar, I plan to smoke out of it fairly regularly. I just keep using the same lid. When I go to re-use the jar, I then use a new lid.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Colcolt, if you stick around long enough to make it to Preferred Member Status,

your Official PipesMagazine.com Preferred Membership Packet will include,

among other things, an Official PipesMagazine.com Twin Tobacco Canister Set

Cannisters.jpg

The "among other things" is a life sized pin-up poster of Himself, topless!

pstlpkr.jpg

colcolt

Jun 11, 2012
The "among other things" is a life sized pin-up poster of Himself, topless!
I think I may have to fore go the poster offer, I fear, but a close up of "Himself's" pipes would be beneficial and educational-particularly the Calabash.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
If you're gonna do mason jars do wide mouth. The regular ones work but the wide mouth are easier to get your baccy back out. I'm curious about plastic containers. I may be traveling soon and glass tends to break. Which are the best?

Status
Not open for further replies.