PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
'Might be well to limit sales to your own country, or own region, etc. When you get overseas, your leverage on anything is remote. My inclination at an emotional level is to be trusting, but after a few rounds of banditry, you want some barriers to the pillaging.

mau1

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
Ontario, Canada
Hey, us Canadians is good guys mso489. Brothers-in-arms, ya know. Keep us in the loop. Why my ancestor was on the Mississippi and the Calabash rivers in 1702 as a voyageur, setting up a trading post. Went to Louisiana and never returned. I know I have distant blood relatives still roaming those there parts.
Oh. and Costco is the only place I know that will make a refund after that length of time. The buyer bears a responsibility as well.

May 4, 2015
I try to accommodate those in other countries where access to this kind of stuff is limited. I should have discussed a return policy before I sent it all the way to Malaysia, but it never even crossed my mind. Live and learn, I suppose. Worst case, I'm out 50 bucks and 4oz of tobacco. I'll be fine.

May 4, 2015
ACTUALLY - I just remembered I also included a cob and some other sampler tobaccos as well as a gift. No way I'm sending money without getting that jar back.

3rdguy

Lifer
Aug 29, 2017
Iowa
I believe with the payment method you accepted he has a 6 month window to file a Paypal claim. I have an order shipped (overseas) that I was paid $550.00 for. He has been asking for more product. Once that 6 month window has passed I will sell again to him but not before.

Just struck me odd as your guy is coming in on the 5 month mark. Mine is up in January, until then I am waiting to see if "the other shoe drops" so to speak.

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
This is a ton of agita over $50.
If it were me, and I thought it worth shipping 4 oz of tobacco halfway around the world a SECOND time, I guess I'd refund him and ask him to ship it back. If you are worried, given it is going to take a good while to get here, ask him to ship some way that has tracking, then when he send the tracking, send him the money.
If you get back an empty jar, it's $50. (Think three cob pipes.) If you get back the full jar, well, even steven.
But really, what is your time and psychic energy worth? And is this how you want to spend those precious commodities?

Jun 27, 2016
Sounds shady, don't be surprised if he keeps whatever money you decide to send him, keeps the items you already sent him, gets his money back that he already paid you, & rats you out to Paypal for selling tobacco, all in one shot. :puffy:

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I suspect that is James, I think that is his name. He purchased quite a bit of tobacco from me with one of the sales I did. Everything went perfectly. In fact, voluntarily, he sent me a shipment of some exceptionally rare and fine Asian Tea. We have exchanged several PM's here, he seems to be a very nice gentleman of high integrity.
I can't vouch for your situation but if this is the same guy, and it sounds like it is, my interaction with him was perfect. Hope this helps.

May 4, 2015
I suspect that is James, I think that is his name. He purchased quite a bit of tobacco from me with one of the sales I did. Everything went perfectly. In fact, voluntarily, he sent me a shipment of some exceptionally rare and fine Asian Tea. We have exchanged several PM's here, he seems to be a very nice gentleman of high integrity.
I can't vouch for your situation but if this is the same guy, and it sounds like it is, my interaction with him was perfect. Hope this helps.
It very well may be the same gentleman and I'll take your input under consideration! Thanks!

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
Maybe since you have a well-respected member vouching for this fellow, an accommodation is in order. I wouldn't refund the whole amount and certainly not without him returning the tobacco. Five months is too long. Actually, you'd only be out the tobacco, since you're just refunding the $50. It would still suck.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
5 months seems like a long time to expect a refund. Also, who knows what the said "family member" did with the tobacco before passing it along. I think it falls on the buyer as a buyer beware and to not wait several months if the product wasn't what he was expecting. I'd say sorry, not accept a refund, and not do business with that person in the future.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Is the member jamban? That's the fellow I sent tobacco to. And it was well more than $50 worth and multiple blends. I also sent it through a family member here, no problems.
This is a bit surprising. For $50, I don't think I would have said anything if I were him and on the flip side, if he felt like he got cheated, I'd send him his $50 back without hesitation to protect my own integrity. I hope you guys can work out an amicable solution.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
I think this buyer deserves nothing as five months is far too long to wait before complaining to a seller.
With that said, considering the dollar value at stake I would cut my losses, refund the money, and never do business with this person again.
I would also never ship bulk/unsealed tobacco to Malaysia through a third party. You should reconsider your international shipping policy - that transaction is about as high risk as possible.

kola

Lifer
Apr 1, 2014
Colorado Rockies, Cripple Creek region
I'd have him return it first - as it only seems fair to both of you.
OTOH if I were Mayalsia-man I'd just keep it - and either smoke it- or trade it. It seems better than paying shipping costs (twice) and taking on all the risks and hassles of sending one jar across the globe.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I'm a bit surprised at some of the responses. Why is it that the prevailing opinion seems to be opposed to the Malaysia member? I believe this fellow has been purchasing a fair amount of tobacco. I have tobacco I bought in jars over 3 months ago, even 6, that I haven't opened yet.
Just what if, what if, there is something wrong with that tobacco? Why is it the Buyer seems to have to assume all the risk? Perhaps pipesmokingtom got confused when he jarred it? Or he bought it from someone else who screwed up? I do not at all think pipesmokingtom did anything shady or malicious here.
It sounds to me like the Buyer acted in complete good faith. He paid upfront and took all the risk. He provided a US address to ship to. What advantage would he have in wanting to return $50 worth of tobacco back to the US? I suppose he could substitute the tobacco for some Lane bulk but really? If this is the same guy I dealt with, he spent $500 without batting an eye and from what I researched on the tea he sent me absolutely free, that was worth at least $75 if not more.
I question the objectivity here at times.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
If the buyer fully intends to ship the tobacco back, as was stated in the OP, then returning the goods first (before receiving a refund) shouldn't be an issue. That is the accepted practice here in the US, and probably in a good bit of the rest of the world as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.