PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Papabird

Lurker
Jul 12, 2024
I really enjoy English blends. My faves so far that are a part of my rotation include Nightcap, Northwoods, MM 965, and Quiet Nights. They each offer something unique to me and it is hard for me to pare the list down any farther. Are there other 'traditional' English blends (still available) that I should try? I realize I am likely to get a host of recommendations here, so please limit to The One you'd recommend. I still have 25 blends in my cellar that I haven't tried yet. :)
I too enjoy quiet nights. Another one of my absolute favorites is captain earls 10 Russians.

Manawydan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 24, 2024
Southern California, US
I appreciate everyone's suggestions! I thought I'd tally the results so far (listed in order posted, doesn't include 'aromatic Englishes' or unicorns):

Most recommended (four votes): Squadron Leader

Runner's Up (two votes each):
- GL Pease Westminster
- Stokkebye’s English Oriental Supreme
- Samuel Gawith Skiff Mixture

Honorable Mention (one vote each):
- Peterson’s Old Dublin
- Stokkebye Proper English
- Rattray’s 7 Reserve
- Kramer’s Father Dempsey
- Country Squire Shepherd’s Pie
- Ashton’s Consumate Gentleman
- Drew Estates Meat Pie
- Arango Balkan Supreme
- Samuel Gawith Commonwealth Mixture
- Brebbia Balkan
- GL Pease Charing Cross
- Peterson Early Morning Pipe
- Ashton Artisan’s Blend
- C&D Old Joe Krantz Red
- GL Pease Samarra
- C&D Pirate Kake
- C&D Oriental Silk
- LJ Peretti Omega
- LJ Peretti Royal
- LJ Peretti Cambridge Flake
- Captain Earl’s 10 Russians

hoipolloiglasgow

Can't Leave
Oct 14, 2023
United States
I didn’t mention it, but if you are able to use Estervals, Hu Zulu and Tuarekh are superb. They may sound like they have too much Latakia on paper, but they aren’t one dimensional all Latakia tasting blends. Extremely complex stuff. Also, Mac Baren Balkan is nice if you like burley in your English. If you ever get a chance to try Vintage Syrian, jump on it. Its sublime. You already like Quiet Nights and Nightcap or I would’ve mentioned them as well. There isn’t a whole lot of talk about Brebbia Balkan on here and it is expensive at 18$ a tin, but it is totally worth it. It’s in stock now and won’t be for long. I’d recommend getting your hands on a couple tins while you still can because it’s made by Mac Baren and they just got bought out. It’s one of the best Balkans with Kentucky and a good dose of Perique IMHO, if you like that in your English.

Last edited:
Reactions: Manawydan

khiddy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Another recommendation for Squadron Leader. Skiff Mixture is another great option. Any of Peter Stokkebye's offerings are pretty good as well. Sutliff's Aromatic English or Voodoo Queen are good if your tastes run to a more flavored English blend. Fox and Hound by one of Sutliff's alter egos is worth a look as well.
While I like a lot of Sutliff products, I have concluded that #504C Aromatic English is a tad too high on the moisture (probably due to PG), pretty much goopy. I blended it with some Daughters & Ryan Two Timer, a notoriously dry burley, and the moisture level at a 4:3 AroEng:DRTT blend ratio was still high enough to set my pipe a-gurgling even after a 3-day rest period before smoking.

driftedshank1

Might Stick Around
Jul 3, 2018
I've previously recommended a few English blends from Ken Byron Ventures in the past but a good story is worth repeating. I really enjoy old school deeply rich tasting English blends. I keep going back to Mountains of Madness, Notorious, Hand of Gotz and recently I tried the English Villain. All very good. Highly recommended.

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
A stellar under-the-radar blend from C&D: Rajah’s Court. Oriental-forward, bready and figgy Virginias, just the right amount of Latakia.

It's difficult for an English to distinguish itself; so, having tried hordes and found my favorites, I pretty much shrug at reviews of any I haven't tried. But you piqued my interest with what you said about this one. Now checking it out online ... I am actually interested in trying this. Thanks!

iqofgenius

Lurker
Jul 19, 2014
I really enjoy English blends. My faves so far that are a part of my rotation include Nightcap, Northwoods, MM 965, and Quiet Nights. They each offer something unique to me and it is hard for me to pare the list down any farther. Are there other 'traditional' English blends (still available) that I should try? I realize I am likely to get a host of recommendations here, so please limit to The One you'd recommend. I still have 25 blends in my cellar that I haven't tried yet. :)
Try Stokebye Proper English. Very similar to Dunhill Standard from 1964 that I used to smoke