Touring Europe, New Zealand, Australia, Taking a Few Pipes. Suggest Great Tobacconists I Might Visit?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lloydcole

Lurker
Jun 20, 2019
I'll be touring my day job (singing) for the next few months.
I'll be in the following towns and cities in the UK, Ireland, and France. Then New Zealand and Australia.
Any suggestions? Tobacconists worth a walk to visit? I'm hoping to find some Germain tobacco, and also some HU which we can't get over here (I'm in Massachusetts).
UK
Glasgow
Newcastle
Kilmarnock
Aberdeen
Dundee
Edinburgh
Hamilton
Liverpool
Leeds
Buxton
Birmingham
Salisbury
Northampton
Basingstoke
London (Islington)
IRELAND
Dublin
Kilkenny
Cork
Limerick
Galway
Belfast
FRANCE
Nantes
St Etienne
Istres
Bordeausx
Evreux
Lille
NEW ZEALAND
Dunedin
Auckland
Wellington
Christchurch
New Plymouth
Palmerston North
AUSTRALIA
Melbourne
Hobart
Bendigo
Brisbane
Adelaide
Lismore
Fremantle
Sydney

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
No suggestions for England/Scotland/Ireland, but I've heard through the forum that tobacco is ridiculously expensive in Australia and New Zealand, so you probably don't want to get your hopes up when traveling there.

tobefrank

Lifer
Jun 22, 2015
Australia
Take tons of your own stash. Have a wonderful tour!

Just be mindful that you can only bring quite a small amount of tobacco into Australia. Good thing you are visiting Australia last.

I recommend checking the amounts you can bring into the various countries.

brassmonkey

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2018
Well there are very few tobacconists in NZ and tobacco is VERY expensive - try about 9 times the cost in USA. oh and you can only enter the country with no more than 50 grams of tobacco per person and, of course, no smoking in any venues, cafe's, bars etc

However, I would be plesed to welcome you to Dunedin when you are here and I have a good amount of tobocco if you do need any. If you have a tobacco preference, let me know, I'll have some waiting for you. Otherwise I would be glad to meet up with you and show you a few sights around this fair city, if your touring schedule allows.

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
In Galway, Powell's Music shop has both musical instruments and pipe tobacco. I think they would be thrilled to see the likes of you walk through their door.

Best wishes for a good tour!

Reactions: bluegrassbrian

charf

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 10, 2018
New Zealand
As Brassmonkey says pipe tobacco is expensive and hard to find here in NZ. Hope you have a nice visit. Unfortunately you are not coming to my town.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Nice little shop in Leith, part of Edinburgh, forgot the name, will hopefully repost, or someone else's got it.

When you do embark?

Jun 9, 2018
England
James J Fox in London is probably well worth a visit although I've never personally been there.
Don't forget to try some Gawith's Full Virginia Plug, St. James Plug and also Revor Plug as they are all difficult to find in the US, ditto the JF Germains blends.
Enjoy your tour as it looks an epic list of places to visit.

Chris.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Fox is definitely worth a visit in London, as is the Davidoff shop nearby. But it's a bit of a push from Islington.

As to Germain blends, yes, some, but not the Esoterica lines.

lloydcole

Lurker
Jun 20, 2019
Thanks for these! I have a day off in Edinburgh and Piccadilly is easy on the tube in London.

lloydcole

Lurker
Jun 20, 2019
Nobody mentioned James J Fox in Mayfair! What a great shop! Germain's blends available in bulk. I bought 250 grams of 1820 flake.

Reactions: Bengel
Status
Not open for further replies.