PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
You might also need to just give time to your mouth to acclimatise to pipe tobacco. New pipers tend to have a sensitive tongue that will balk at the presence of a new thing. I tried most of what's been suggested above to no avail. Then one day my tongue accepted the fact that no matter how much it complained I would continue to bathe it with tobacco smoke, it stopped bitching and now I can smoke pretty much biteless, except for the occasional harsh blend or if I relight too much or have poor technique (both in lighting and in sippoofing).

I smoke mostly aromatics, I don't dry the tobacco to bone dry (you can't do this with aromatics), I don't drink anything with my smoke, and I'm OK (except for my sinuses which have picked up the bitching where the tongue left off, but that's another story). So, in a nutshell, give it time.

I don't advise to inhale: pipe and cigar tobacco has more nicotine than cigarettes, and even as a seasoned cig smoker it might be too much for you. There are also lung health reasons to avoid inhaling, but I won't rattle that can o' worms here. Personally, I always go to great pains to avoid inhaling as nicotine tends to make me sick.

milehighpiper

Can't Leave
Sep 10, 2018
Denver, CO
I smoke like a runaway freight train when I get into a good book (or a good post) but avoid tongue bite with my drink and by smoking a good English that agrees with me. I stopped worrying about perfectly packing my pipe in a long time and have had good luck with consistent smokes and cool burning tobacco. Lastly, I prefer not to inhale and just enjoy the flavor of the tobacco. If I need to get sleepy, dizzy and a little nauseous, I just smoke some Nightcap or 3P’s and it gets the job done!

Like others have said on here, slow down and at one point it will click and pipe smoking will turn from a scientific process to an abstract method of relaxation.

Enjoy!

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
So are you saying just gravity fill and give one gentle push?
Just enough of a push to solidly pack it but to leave it a tiny bit springy. You don't want to pack it as solidly as concrete but not as loosely as it will fall out of the bowl. You can also pack lightly and adjust the packing with the tamper when lighting and smoking. With cube cut blends and crumble cakes I just gravity fill with no tamping at all until the chamber has burned down so far that it won't take a flame. At that point I only use just the weight of the tamper to compress the ash and relight.

Reactions: Patrick_Green

Patrick_Green

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 25, 2019
Texas
I was starting out: Cornell & Diehl Haunted Bookshop, Pegasus, and Old Joe Krantz. These are sometimes a little too young when purchased in bulk (i.e. they might need to hang out in jars for a few weeks)

I just ordered some C&D tobaccos from "The Old Ones" series. I got visions of celephïas, and dreams of kadath. Im looking forward to trying those out

Reactions: Chasing Embers

Patrick_Green

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 25, 2019
Texas
Thanks everyone, I learned a lot here. Tried the simple packing method and its working great. Breathing through the nose instead of the mouth is working great too. Im paceing myself a bit more, and got me some wood matches!

I really appreciate all the advice, thank you very much gentlemen!

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
You don't want to pack it as solidly as concrete but not as loosely as it will fall out of the bowl.
This. I sometimes test the pack by turning the pipe upside down after making sure the toby is springy: if it doesn't fall out, it's good packing.

Of course, you can avoid all that embroiled Embers' technique and just use the Frank Method. ?

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
oh and inhaling isn't going to get you more nicotine maybe faster but only with blends that have an acidic quality. If it's basic that won't absorb so good in the lungs PH is part of how the oxygen and stuff gets into the blood. Also the lungs have taste buds that sense more base qualities and though we're not sure what they really do but it might inhibit the absorption of gases in some way. So you literally might only be getting a placebo effect and not an increase in nicotine and even if you're absorbing it's only quicker not more.

Reactions: Patrick_Green

OlrikFan

Lurker
Oct 27, 2019
For one, I think it is the quality of the tobacco you smoke. One of the things about top quality tobaccos is that they are carefully harvested and cured for a long time. That tends to milden the tongue bite.
Drying out the tobacco is not a good idea. It spoils taste and smell, and it fires up like hay. The right humidity actually helps you to keep the right pace.
Just as important is the way you fill and smoke it. I always pack the pipe very loosely to let the taste unfold and prevent violent sucking. Once the pipe is lit up and going I alter between drawing and blowing very gently through the stem. That way the taste opens up, and I can steer how much smoke hits my tongue. Don’t know if it helps, but works for me ?

Jef

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2019
North Carolina
I have a few more questions but dont want to clutter up the forum, so Ill put them here.

Is it okay to inhale? I dont do this every draw, but Ive been enjoying an inhale here and there. I fear it may be detramental to my health, but I do need a good nicotine fix.

Secondly, as I shop for tobaccos I notice only certain tins say "Warning this product contains nicotine..." and other tins don't. Are there pipe tobacco blends that don't contain nicotine? Why do only some blends have the warning?
I find that slowing down and holding my pipe in my hand instead of my mouth after a few puffs greatly reduces tounge burn. If I just leave it in my mouth then I find that I draw on it more without thinking and getting things too hot. I smoke cigarettes too and I am trying to quit. I inhale now and then and I am not dead yet. But if you huf your pipe trying to get it going good to get a good hit then you will definitely end up with tounge burn. Smoking a pipe will give you a great fidget stone, but it won't take care of your nicotine fix.

Jef

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.