PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
When he was a graduate student, one of my advisors used to smoke cigarettes while lecturing (this must have been the early to mid 70's). Anyhow, one day he was giving a lecture on Joyce's Ulysses and said he felt this horrible burning sensation coming from his right thigh. That's when he suddenly realizes (no joke) that he had set his own pants on fire. After semester's end, the chair of the department calls my advisor into his office and asks him if it's really true that he set his own pants on fire, in class. Apparently the end-of-course evaluations had a question about the most memorable lecture or most memorable moment in the course and almost every single student had said something along the lines of "The lecture on James Joyce's Ulysses when Professor XXXX set his pants on fire."
This is apropos of nothing, but it's a great story.

knightmare

Lurker
Apr 10, 2012
@pitchfork
LOL!! That's amazing.

--
I understand not smoking in class, or other places where it isn't very respectful to smoke, but..

I'm a little curious about this:

"[..]and all other spaces in university-owned or leased buildings or vehicles"
I'm assuming that only means, as per the quote, IN those buildings, but the vagueness of the statement makes me nervous as in, what becomes "in". "In" could be standing on a patio outside of a building for example.

captainbob

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 5, 2010
I attended Marquette University in Milwaukee, WI. Back then, most of the professor's and many male students smoked pipes! Yes, this is a sign of the times. But, this really sucks. If I was a student today that smoked a pipe, I would drop out. There is no way I would accumulate student loans whilst my "freedom" to smoke a pipe was taken away! I am glad that I am age 62 and do not have to put up with this. I feel sorry for all college students today because so many graduate with debt and can't find a job they were educated for. What is happening to our Country?

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Status
Not open for further replies.