Total Beginner Questions - Packing and Smoke Time?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Sep 7, 2020
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9)

Hi all - I’m new to pipe smoking as of this past week - I’ve been enjoying a good cigar on occasion for a few years, and have read up on pipe basics, but only made the (very small) investment in a cob pipe and one light, aromatic blend now. I’ve read all the pointers about not packing too tight, the false light and the relight, etc., but still am wondering whether I’m not getting the hang of it yet or whether this is just how it is : my bowls only last about 15 minutes, and will go out in about 30 seconds if not nursed pretty strongly. Seems a little shorter and higher maintenance than I expected - any thoughts? Can provide more info if needed.

Last edited by a moderator:

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
Check out this thread for different techniques on packing.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
How big is the chamber? Whatever method you use to pack the pipe, it should have free draw. But packed tight enough the tobacco won't fall out. Aromatic or any blends should be dried. Dry the tobacco until it's almost dry to the touch when you pinch between thumb and index. Light the tobacco so the top is evenly lit. Sip, do not puff. That should do the trick. You might want to try OTC brands like Carter Hall, Sir Walter Raleigh or something that would be easier to smoke.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
It takes patients and those cob bowls are pretty small. But there is a reason why people say pipe smoking is a fine art. It takes time to learn how to properly do it, all I can say is if you stick with it, you will be greatly rewarded in the long run. It’s one of the greatest pleasures on earth but it doesn’t come with instant gratification. If you put in the effort you will eventually be packing, lighting and smoking the bowl all the way down without effort.

Reactions: HitchensDog
1. Ditch that aromatic at the beginning and go for an English. You will have a better smoke. When your cadence is perfect, you can revisit the aromatics
2. Dry your tobacco to a crisp
3. While many beginners pack tighter than they should: Sometimes if you read the internet too much, you pack lighter than you should. A good rule of thumb- A little more than 2 grams of tobacco per bowl. If you have packed lighter - Tamp it a little tight. Given your symptoms, I believe you have taken the advice “Pack lighter” too literally and packing too light
4. Smoke slower

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Have fun practicing and finding what works, and then what works better. If you have access to an experienced pipe smoker, a friend or at a pipe club or shop, you can get some firsthand advice, and mostly just watch and pick up on the moves. However, don't compete. This is supposed to be enjoyable and relaxing to you, so don't judge yourself or look too much at the clock. Buy blends in small quantities for a year or two. Sample around a lot. Plenty of good advice in the posts above this, and to follow.

Reactions: Vitacura

STP

Lifer
Sep 8, 2020
Northeast USA
There are a lot of YouTube videos that illustrate difference techniques, i.e., three layers and Frank methods. I use a combination of both with success.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Except that bad boy! That will give you a lengthy smoke... That’s my Semoise pipe right there.

These are more what I had pictured the OP starting out with but if he’s starting out with a big ass freehand stylee... more power to him! Great pic @chasingembers
68FA9A6B-2848-4253-B100-F8456B0E0EE2.jpeg
Btw, these two cobs have been smoked with love and recklessness for 11 years now and while the stems don’t appear to be in great shape these pipes are still work horses and still smoking like a dream.

Last edited:

jhe033

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 15, 2020
Indiana
There’s tons of great advice above, as always on this forum. I was where you are back in April.

I’m a longtime cigar smoker who dabbled in pipes because my dad smokes one and I loved tobacco. Despite occasionally collecting blends and loving the flavors, I never got past various stages of relights and tongue bite.

Well actually taking the time to read here, follow the advice and experiment a little has worked wonders.

I won’t lie and say I’m some master now, but I can generally dry some tobacco, pack and light a minimal amount and actually relax and enjoy the smoke...patience and practice was definitely rewarded.

alexnc

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
I also read somewhere when I was starting, the draw should be less effort than a straw takes when you’re drinking. Probably not bad advice. It might have taken me a couple of years to develop good technique.

Reactions: kg.legat0
Sep 7, 2020
Still getting used to this site, too, and missed all these replies! Thanks for all the input - I concluded I really just wasn’t packing tightly enough. The internet spooked me into being afraid to really pack!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Yeah, packing takes practice, and between different cuts, moisture levels, and kinds of leaf, no one gets it right every time. There should be room for air to move through the bowl and the ember but enough tobacco to burn for a while, so you have to learn from experience. When you do get it right, it's a nice stretch of easy smoking.

PipesRock

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 21, 2020
Florida
Great pointers here for sure and other factors can also enter in like wind. I'm packing quite a bit tighter these last few days just to keep the cob from exploding because of the fast burning raging inferno in the bowl stoked by wind.

HitchensDog

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 22, 2020
Omaha, Nebraska, USA
Definitely check Youtube for different methods. There are lots of methods and you will find one or a combination that work for you. Once you do, you'll be packing your pipe without even thinking about it. I use a combination of Frank Method and air pocket method. Sometimes on a smaller bowl pipe I'll use the swirl method. I know it's been mentioned, but stick with it and practice. The reward is well worth the effort.

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
Patience is the key. I have been smoking pipes for awhile and still have occasions when I don't properly pack a bowl. No shame in taking the tobacco out and starting over. This will become an ongoing obsession as you move onto different ways the tobacco is processed. I spent some time today slicing flakes off of a plug and cubing a couple. Enjoy the journey.