PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

TinCup

Can't Leave
Nov 14, 2019
Indian Ocean
Have you tried the parfait pack yet where you layer multiple blends in a single pack?

The sweat is literately running down my neck... now that could be because I was just outside for a small bowl of Danish Black Mix & its 90° and 70% humidity outside... or it could be that I'm attempting to reply to your post without screwing it up! ?

Your parfait pack sounds interesting but I worry that if my uneducated palate couldn't get along with this concept:
I'm gonna seriously struggle with the parfait pack and ultimately waste valuable tobacco, any tips on the right mix?

Reactions: jpmcwjr

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
its 90° and 70% humidity outside
Consider me jealous as that is my ideal weather.

any tips on the right mix?
That's where experimentation comes in. From top to bottom, my favorite is McClelland 40th Anniversary with a middle layer of Yenidje Highlander and a finishing layer of Balkan Blue. Some do it mild to strong, some do it strong to mild, and some do it with complementary aromatics.

TinCup

Can't Leave
Nov 14, 2019
Indian Ocean
That's where experimentation comes in. From top to bottom, my favorite is McClelland 40th Anniversary with a middle layer of Yenidje Highlander and a finishing layer of Balkan Blue. Some do it mild to strong, some do it strong to mild, and some do it with complementary aromatics.

I think this is an idea to save for when I can appreciate the flavours properly (although googling your favs it would appear these aren't around anymore so I'll need to concoct a different 'pack-mix' anyway)
I'd already decided I'll have a go at mixing small amounts of aromatics (in jars etc) to see what happens, so this seems like another way to extend the range of tastes (might need to invest in a larger bowl pipe too, I think my very limited collection of apples won't be big enough)

davek

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 20, 2014
Hahahah...
That reminds me of a line from 'Only Fools and Horses' (an old English sitcom):
"You see this brush?? [Trigger looks at his trusty sweeping/yard brush]
I've had this brush for over fifteen years.
And I've only had to change the shaft twice, and the head five times..."
"This is the ax my grandfather made.
My father replaced the handle and I replaced the blade."

So... as the old thought experiment queries... If you took the first shaft and head and made a new brush, which is the original brush? Since it becomes more of an obvious choice with only two parts and a shorter time span, maybe such simplification gives the answer, as is often the case.

To continue to wax philosophical, Ah tried the toppin' off stuff. S'awright. Sumptintimes don't burn good though.

Sorry for putting Descartes before the horse.

Seeker81

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 22, 2019
The original brush is no more... unless it is restored ha ha, the original head and the original shaft become original.

"This is the ax my grandfather made.
My father replaced the handle and I replaced the blade."

haha is that an old one?

kilroyjune6

Might Stick Around
Dec 25, 2016
I top off very rarely, but not to extend the smoke. I do it when I get to the end of a ton, and there's too much tobacco for one bowl, but not enough for another ½ bowl. So I start smoking, and when I've smoked it down enough, I'll top it off with the remaining tobacco. And, no, it's not as good.

luigi

Can't Leave
May 16, 2017
Europe
Tried it once but it felt awkward to think that both the upper and lower part of the embers are burning tobacco in opposite directions.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
if you're a smoke ever shred of tobacco type you can add a small layer of dry leaf on top of the dottle and that makes it easier to smoke, either that or you can just accept that you can't get every single flake from every single bowl.

Epip Oc'Cabot

Can't Leave
Oct 11, 2019
For me, I tried adding a bit more to a pleasant bowl.... but for me it was a two or three time effort only.... invariably, it would change the parameters of the smoke enough that it was not helpful. In fact, the couple of times I did this way back when.... it was not enjoyable to me. I find, for me, knocking out the dottle and packing a new bowl always was a much more pleasant approach.

Status
Not open for further replies.