PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
S

sunriseboy

What are the top five (or so) tobaccos for RYO.
And aqcaintance of mine would like to get some.

username

Lifer
Dec 24, 2014
Tucson Az
When I rolled my own. It was a toss up between drum and Amsterdam shag. Drum was the usual go to as I could get it from the smoke shop on the res when I used to work near their. Their halfzware blends so Kentucky and bright virgina irc. But both are a tasty smoke. I also liked Turkish export for something different.

acidpox

Can't Leave
Nov 18, 2018
For good budget brand try Ohm. I make my own cigarettes. After the 40 dollar purchase of a good stuffing machine it cost me roughly a dollar a pack. I mainly use Ohm Bold or Turkish red. For a mellower taste you can try Ohm mellow or Turkish Yellow. Also experiment with different brands of tubes. The brand of tubes makes A HUGE difference in the flavor and draw and burn rate. May take awhile to find the perfect tobacco/tube combo for you.

Reactions: dcon and mso489

buzkirk

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 14, 2009
Humboldt Tn.
I have been using Gambler regular (red bag) with the gambler tubes . Just bought the OHM yellow bag (turkish)

Reactions: dcon

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
Don’t stuff, but do roll. Many of the better rolling tobaccos make poor tube-stuffing tobacco due to how the cut impacts the draw. And most of the stuffing “pipe tobacco” is absolute shite. Anyway, lots of good ones already mentioned here. I’m a Drum man myself, though it’s not what it used to be. PS Turkish from time to time. Surprised nobody has mentioned Bali Shag: a little closer to the old drum in cut, not quite as Smokey.

lightxmyfire

Can't Leave
Jun 17, 2019
DMV Area
I haven’t rolled in a long time but I too used to enjoy drum. My wife has been rolling a bit here and there recently and is keen on the PS Amsterdam Shag, I used really enjoy the PS English export I believe it was called. I remember it being smooth, good flavor, and easy to roll.

Might pick some up for old times sake now that I’m thinking about it again.

Reactions: anotherbob and dcon

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
Gave up ciggies in 2000, but before I did, the ultimate tobacco for me, RYO or or otherwise, was Three Castles. Rolled only in ungummed Club paper. Stained your thumb and index finger but sweet as can be. Funny thing is, it bit like crazy if smoked in a pipe, but not in a cig.

dcon

Lifer
Mar 16, 2019
Jacksonville, FL
Back in the day, Gauloises was far and away the best. It is no longer available for most of the world. In the 60s I knew more folks that rolled PA than smoked it in a pipe. PA is readily available. PS still produces several RYO that are also fine in a pipe.

Reactions: kcghost
S

sunriseboy

The reason I asked that was because someone I know wants to lay their hands on some. So gave her the address of a seller.
But thanks for the input, gents. I appreciate it.
And I'll let my contact know about the PA.

Reactions: dcon
S

sunriseboy

Back in the day, Gauloises was far and away the best. It is no longer available for most of the world. In the 60s I knew more folks that rolled PA than smoked it in a pipe. PA is readily available. PS still produces several RYO that are also fine in a pipe.
Yes, I remember from my Footman-Valet days, I used to smoke Gauloises. Brilliant tobacco.

Reactions: Perique and dcon

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
American Spirits rolling tobacco is also pretty good but takes some more skill to roll not much more but after you can get a perfect shag cig he can try that. P.s. I've smoked all of these at one time or another except Gambler and Ohm and can vouch for them all being pretty good blends.