PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

pinem

Might Stick Around
Aug 16, 2015
Nebraska
Might be fun, might not, but thought I would post a photo of my currently favorite pipe, favorite source of fire, and favorite tamper. It's taken me a few years to figure out what I like, and this seems to be it.

Ardor Meteora, IM Corona Pipemaster, and a modest 8Deco tamp.

20240320_001216.jpg

What's yours?

LongIslandPiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 8, 2022
I envy ye gentlemen that have procured your hand selected go-tos. I have yet to lock down my ideal combination within my collection thus far

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
There are a number of pipes that I enjoy smoking, Swan Vestas or a BIC for lighting, and...yep... my index finger for tamping and scooping and packing. Funny, because I have beautiful tampers made by Silver Gray, Barling, and others, and just come back to my my index finger, the perfect tool for me.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
There are a number of pipes that I enjoy smoking, Swan Vestas or a BIC for lighting, and...yep... my index finger for tamping and scooping and packing. Funny, because I have beautiful tampers made by Silver Gray, Barling, and others, and just come back to my my index finger, the perfect tool for me.
I've got artisan tampers that are primarily for photo dressing. Nowhere near as accurate as a finger tip.

Choatecav

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 19, 2023
Middle Tennessee
Finger tip guys- You do this while the cherry is visible? I'm too delicate a soul to do that.
While I use a tamper 50% of the time, the other 50 is my finger and it's all about speed. You touch and go. Once finger is out, you brush fingers together and it's painless. A tamper is better for a good, even tamp. Especially deep in the bowl.

Choatecav

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 19, 2023
Middle Tennessee
When I was a kid, we went to an old, small, country church. During the summer months, wasps were always getting in there and crawling around the windows. I remember a man who was a farmer and used to very hard work. His hands had callouses on his callouses..... He would very nonchalantly walk around before services and, using only his fingers, would crush those red wasps between thumb and forefinger. I can distinctly remember the "crunch" sound as he mashed them and they fell to the floor. His fingers were so large that they would not have fit in most pipe bowls but I'd say he could have tamped down a campfire if he chose to......:ROFLMAO:

InWithBothFeet

Might Stick Around
Mar 23, 2024
Richmond, KY
I have the ubiquitous czech tool and I bought an amazon lighter with the pipe tools onboard. The tamper is small and the scraper is flimsy. I used the scraper to break the seal on a tin and I wasn't sure it was going to survive the experience.