Took a Risk on a Vague Ebay Listing......It's a Barling...

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rebornbriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 21, 2013
United Kingdom
It is indeed a true Barling pipe. What a great find. The shop was Skillington of Leicester. I did have another Barling from the same store, but it was a good bit later at 1929. A mere youngster compared to that treasure - lol.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Really in remarkable condition with that crisp rim. I wouldn't worry about the "out of round" at the rim. I suspect that the chamber walls are just fine. Smokers employed knives to clean the cake, and they often took a bit off of the rim. Beautiful grain on that pipe. Barlings from this era often sport beautiful grain, which wasn't always the case later on. The shaping is very nice. Really a terrific pipe. When I get home I'll see if this shape appears in my catalog. If it does, I'll let you know the model number and name. A bit of browning on the stem which should come off with a little elbow grease. Just keep it out of the light when not in use once you have it restored so that it keeps its good looks.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Klause:
I don't know sic'em about Barling pipes other than they're highly collectible and coveted by so many members of this forum.
I love the shape, the grain and those beautiful thick walls. Moreso, I wouldn't be concerned a lick about the bowl being out of round. It's over a hundred years old, well loved and just might be a 9.5 out of 10 - if not higher.
I've never had a pipe as old as yours. Any idea what material they used for the mouthpiece?
What a wonderful catch, pal.
Fnord

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
Damn, Klause, that is a hell of a score: great price and great condition. Congrats on that winner. I had mine earlier this year with a Pioneer Calabash that was similarly not listed correctly and got it for $40, and it was in fantastic shape.

K

klause

Reborn, that is very cool that you had one from the same shop - what are the odds, huh?
Sablebrush, thanks - I'd love to know a bit more, so any other info you can rustle up would be super. The out of round is not an issue for me at all - it's all part of the story - some old pipes I have it would be hard to tell what the original shape was ;-). Actually, while reaming it I had a realisation. The owner was right- handed - hold pipe in left hand, knife I right hand - the side that is over reamed sits closest to the right hand!!! It's the way I'd do it if I wasn't careful - it was a strange moment.
So, progress so far (started at 5:30 am this morning with my first coffee):
Jason-Pipes-Clean_0001_image1.jpg

Jason-Pipes-Clean_0000_image2.jpg

Jason-Pipes-Clean_0002_image3.jpg

So, just finished the shank clean - took a bit, but not to bad. Then Cleaned outside of pipe, very gently as I didn't want to damage the stain. It was quite clean, so not much to do here. Silver band cleaned up beautifully.
Reamed it with my trusty Opinel. Internals of bowl are PERFECT. no rim darkening, as owner didn't over load the pipe. Cake started about 1/4 inch below rim. Can now get my thumb into bowl (just under 2 inches). In fact my thumb does not touch the sides of the bowl - it Can swivel freely on tip of my thumb. Walls are just under 1/2 inch thick.
Stem is about to get a LOT more elbow grease, but most of the oxidation is now removed. The draft hole is so wide that a fluffy pipe cleaner does not flatten or catch even remotely - in fact, cleaning it was a bugger, because the cleaner was not cleaning!!!!!! I'm not removing the tooth chatter, as it's not bad, and is part of the pipes story - anyway the stem is so thick, that they do not come even close to compromising it.
There is not a single flaw in the briar.
So far, so good.
Fnord, this pipe is definitely 9.5/10 - easily. Also, the stem is vulcanite (off to polish it up now).
Gent, thanks for all the comments - Cmdrmcbragg, sounds like a great score :)

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Looking good! The closest illustration I could find in my catalog is called "The Magestic" The illustration shows an army mount, but the bowl shape is the same as yours.
I'm sot surprised that the draft hole is large. Several of my pipes from this period have a wide open draft. So much for this being a new idea. I usually double over my tapered wires for cleaning, or twist two together to get the extra girth needed for cleaning.
So here's another bit of historical context to consider. Your Barling comes with a push-in stem. In 1906, most of the pipes being made still used threaded screws to connect the stem to the shank. Barling was a pioneer in the use of push stems. Even with amber stems, they got rid of the screw connector and substituted a vulcanite tenon.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Klause, pipe is looking really good!!! This story just keeps getting better and better!
Dave

K

klause

Jason-Pipes-Clean-2-_0000_image2.jpg

Jason-Pipes-Clean-2-_0001_image1-1.jpg

Photos not the best, as the light has gone. The stem is actually gleaming (all oxidation gone!), much better than I expected (I don't have a buffer wheel), but the bowl needs a couple more coats of wax and polishing (doing it by hand), so it will improve.
Sablebrush, thank you, yet again!!! That is cracking information, and it just makes this even more special. I've learnt a lot the last couple of weeks, and I really appreciate it.
Dave, tomorrow, I may take this for a couple of hours in the greenhouse - it's going to take a lot of Toby to fill this bowl - should be a long smoke, only enhanced by everyone's input to the story :)

Dec 24, 2012
It must be hard for you to sit comfortably with that massive horseshoe buried up your . . . congrats on a wonderful find!

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
That pipe looks absolutely gorgeous all cleaned up. Congratulations, and I hope it provides you with a lifetime of fine smokes.

xrundog

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
What a great pipe. I have gotten some of my best pipes on ebay from vague descriptions and crummy pictures. Yours really tops them all!

jmatt

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 25, 2014
That is nothing short of amazing!!!!! But I have to ask the experts: In the restored condition, what in the world is a Barling like that worth? It's not like you see 108 year old ANYTHING that looks that nice. Let alone a Barling.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
That is nothing short of amazing!!!!! But I have to ask the experts: In the restored condition, what in the world is a Barling like that worth? It's not like you see 108 year old ANYTHING that looks that nice. Let alone a Barling.
That is a tough call. Probably in the neighborhood of $500-600. If it had its case add another $100-150. I have two like this one and I paid one hell of a lot more for them than did Klause for his, let me tell you.

Status
Not open for further replies.