PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bubbadreier

Lifer
Jul 30, 2010
Norman, Oklahoma
And I decided to sand it down and see if I could stain the natural briar without using a store bought stain and here are the results...
Here is the pipe after I sanded it down, the finish was flaking off...

IMG_2870.jpg

IMG_2871.jpg

IMG_2872.jpg

Right after I "stained" the pipe...

IMG_2873.jpg

After the stain dried...

IMG_2875.jpg

IMG_2881.jpg

IMG_2882.jpg

Here is the finished product...

IMG_2883.jpg

onizuka

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 28, 2010
nice work bubba, it's such a coincidence seeing all these threads about estate pipes that I was thinking of doing the same thing to a cruddy old looking pipe by refinishing it myself. However, I know it would probably ruin the value of the pipe, it would certainly make for a very interesting pipe and for a pipe stained to my liking. Are you going to buff the pipe with carnuba?

excav8tor

Can't Leave
Aug 28, 2010
South Devon, England
Nice job Bubba. I find that a powdered stain that can be mixed with spirit is the best type of stain to use. By mixing it yourself and experimenting on off cuts of wood you can get the right shade you want. It dries quite quickly too.

My next project is to try and refill some of the fills, and then restain it.

I suspect you are a little like me, because I am really getting into my new hobby of restoring old pipes. There is definately something satisfying about taking a beat up old pipe and breathing new life into it.

Welldone.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
If you want to remove the old finish and pull out the original stain an overnight soak in alcohol works wonders. Afterwords let the pipe dry completely and often all that is needed before re-staining is a very going over with a scotch brite pad . The alcohol based stains from Pimo are excellent.

Status
Not open for further replies.