PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Did you mean to write "dichotomy" instead of anal sex?
We liked the world better when there weren't cell phones and the internet. We like talking to people, not machines. We like quiet morning listing to nature not pumped up with music. We like being introspective and think FB is silly.
Except I love the internet and my smart phone. Yes, prefer face to face to other. And yes on quiet mornings; on no house pump music.....but FB isn't silly. It's helped me find old friends I wouldn't have found otherwise. People can use or misuse FB in silly ways, for sure.

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
No smart phone here! Retiring after 40+ years in IT calls and text causes my PTSD to act up. I now use a Kindle Fire 98% of the time. Scrolling is a breeze.

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
Hahaha..this one could go down as one of those spell check nightmares....
it should have read...
It's a weird dichotomy. We (pipe smokers) are generally a "get of my lawn type" meaning that we love old stuff and we don't like change. We liked the world better when there weren't cell phones and the internet. We like talking to people, not machines. We like quiet morning listing to nature not pumped up with music. We like being introspective and think FB is silly. The issue is...that's not the world we live in.
The cycling industry has the same problem. The "industry" people are Luddites. They like steel frames and wool. They are resistant to change. Many brick and mortar Bike shops are not doing well. They are set in their ways and slowly dying all the while complaining about how the internet is killing their business. They hate the internet and social media. The issue is...we live in a world of social media, carbon fiber and titanium.
There are similarities.
Here's the rub. We lament the loss of our culture but we refuse to change our ways in order to potentially save it. I'm in no way saying that any side is right or wrong on this issue. Just pointing out that one of our strengths (commitment to tradition) will ultimately be our downfall.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
chase, you do all that typing on a phone? And I need a full-size keyboard and a desktop PC. On a phone would drive me crazy, but you do ably, which is the way of the world. I touch type, hate to hunt and peck regardless of the scale of the keys.
Voice recognition on a phone is amazing. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.