PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

stickframer

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 11, 2015
I've got 7 tins or jars open. I used to think that was way too many, but 2 or 3 are blends I rarely smoke. To keep it simple I don't really want to have any more than 7 or 8 open at a time. For me, it's easier to become familiar with a blend if I don't have too many distractions calling to me on the tobacco shelf.

wilson

Apr 17, 2013
Assuming they are stored properly so that they don't dry out while you work your way through them, no harm done. There are things in life you should worry about: too many open blends is not one of them.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
I've got a dozen larger jars right now that contain either blends I want on hand at all times (Black House, Escudo) or tins I'm sampling (Bjarne Viking series), and a dozen small jars that I used to transport samples at one time, 3 or 4 of which are currently empty and the rest of which contain the dregs of samples that I don't dislike enough to simply give away or throw out, but which I don't necessarily enjoy enough to just plow through...

mymixture77

Lurker
May 25, 2015
Sweden
I have 6-7 tins open at all times. Will try to start jaring them from now on. Some og the blends stays pretty moist, Even after several weeks in the tin.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
While I have a few tins in play, most of my currently smoked tobacco is in thick sealable plastic bags, often inside another bag. If something gets too dry (not often with me as I like it on the dry side), I just stick a piece of terra-cotta in the bag or jar for a few hours.
Anyway, does this sound about right to the pros on here?

glassx7

Lurker
Sep 29, 2014
Everything I have at the moment is either an open tin/pouch or in a jar. When I get new tobaccos I can't help but open them and give them a smell and light up a bowl. By far, the days I smoke the most are the days a box arrives in the mail. I think the longest time I left a tin unopened was five to six days, at most. I don't have a set time of day or schedule for tobaccos, I generally light up what seems most appealing at any given time.

maxx

Apr 10, 2015
I've got one empty jar. You guys have persuaded me to crack open another tin. BlackHouse, it shall be.

morton

May 3, 2012
Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
Like some others, I've got about 80 tins open/jarred. Of those, I regularly hit 10-12 and others vary. My tobacco tastes change throughout the year, summer is VA and VaPer time and colder weather brings more latakia blends to the table but any jar is fair game, any time.

sw0snuff3r

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 3, 2014
I have about a dozen opened and jarred. I would think I have too many on the go but in a moment of weakness I'd open another just because I've been dying to try it. It used to bother me but you guys are making me feel better about it.

perlasca

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 11, 2015
I have 33 Mason Jars of bulk and tinned tobacco that I pick through and smoke.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I revel in trying new blends and I am intrigued by newly introduced blends, but I have to say, more of my best smokes come from tobacco I've smoked over time that has been jarred for a while. I think knowing what to expect and learning how to smoke particular blends enhances the experience remarkably. With a new blend that I like, what i get is excitement. With a blend I know better, what I get is profound.

P

pipebuddy

I have managed to bring my tin opening disorder under control, after a long and expensive struggle (I have waisted some good quantities of tobacco over time). I will never have no more than 3, rarely 4, tins opened at the same time. But I have to keep myself in check all the time.

carytobacco

Can't Leave
Nov 23, 2012
Cary, NC
Told myself I was going to finish my remaining tins before opening a new one, but I fell to temptation and cracked a JA Luxury Flake tin to smoke in my Dunhill. Not regretting this at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.