PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Civil War

Lifer
Mar 6, 2018
I consider my collection more of a pipe library. Kind of like those libraries you see in old Victorian homes.

joeman

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2016
South Carolina
I consider my collection more of a pipe library. Kind of like those libraries you see in old Victorian homes.
CivilWar...those libraries often have thousands of books in them. What are you saying? 8O :lol:

fatbob

Lurker
Jun 30, 2016
Time makes a big difference. I like pipe tobacco and pipes. If something intrigues me, I buy it; within reason. After a while, you amass quite a pile. I must admit, sometimes I will dig out a box of pipes, or tobacco, that I may have forgotten and it's like Christmas...bonus. If you ask my wife, I have way too many of a few things.

Civil War

Lifer
Mar 6, 2018
CivilWar...those libraries often have thousands of books in them. What are you saying? [8O] [:lol:]
JoeMan, I wouldn't say thousands, or even a thousand, but more than I would like to admit :wink:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Pipe for pipe, I suspect I'd get better use out of fewer pipes, because smoking a pipe a lot brings it along better, up to a point. I try to rigorously rotate, so they all get smoked, but the more pipes you rotate, the less each gets smoked.

Dec 24, 2012
Truthfully, I have no idea how many pipes I have. There are many, running the gamut from cobs to a few Jess Chowitsch pipes. Some I smoke and some I haven't yet. My pipe buying has slowed down considerably though. Over the last year I have only bought a few special pieces.

bonanzadriver

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2016
After attending the TAPS show this weekend I have now gone over the 100 mark. Admittedly most of them are inexpensive estate pipes of the drugstore variety. But several are beautiful Dunhill, Peterson, Savanelli, Stanwell and Nording briars.
All of this since Oct of 2016.
I know, I know... I have a problem. :-(
But hey, what I haven't spent on pipes I did spend on tobacco. ;-) (not to mention furnishings for the mancave.)

jon11

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2013
I have 103 pipes (not including cobs which I do have but don’t consider them pipes bc IMO they smoke like crap). Pretty much done buying unless something really grabs me

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
A quick count of those within reach right now, and I mean I don't have to get out of my chair shows about 40.

Another 30 or so on racks and stands nearby, and several mostly unsmoked in bags and boxes.

I've only been smoking a pipe for about 4 yrs. (I did smoke a pipe now and then in my younger days, but it was never successful or sustained.)

I haven't sought out new pipes lately, but I still look for values or 'buys' on things I expect to perform well or have something appealing about them.

The acquisition process has been integral to my appreciation for the hobby.

I feel as if I've settled down and become comfortable that I have an idea and possession of what a good pipe or two can be, so my PAD is on idle.

After my first 2 yrs of 'the hobby', I also went to buying bulks rather than tins.

I've 'settled' there too. I feel as if the only thing tinned tobacco offers other than bagged is moisture, well, pretty much, anyway.

I enjoy approximately 10 or 12 bowls a day and keep about 9 blends within easy reach in containers affording me access to the tobacco with minimal spillage. Little jars don't work for me. Big jars are unwieldy, but I have some. Mostly I use recycled sandwich meat tubs. They hold about 2 ozs. each. A couple of small bowls for mixing or re-hydrating and it's off to the clouds.

One confession.

I have not smoked a pipe's first bowl, or a new pipe since I was a youth. I have several 'new' pipes, but I have yet to smoke one.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Between all the pipes I've bought and a number of beautiful gifts and one pipe as a prize in the caption contest, and one new pipe that is unsmoked for two years, I have to put on the brakes. I'm still excited to smoke each one in turn, so it is not a burden, but I have plenty and plenty.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I have around 35 pipes 30 of which I've purchased in the past 4 months. Moretti, Castello, Radice, Ascorti and Northern Briar make up the bulk. Have a single L'anatra, Larryson, Skip Osage Orange and Rad Davis. I feel like I have more than enough to dedicate to blends and maintain a reasonable rotation. I will continue to purchase pipes but on a more selective basis. I've found the small castello sea rock and old antiquari are excellent Virginia flake smokers. When I see one that fits my eye at a reasonable price, I'll buy it. I've recently experienced the joy of nice artisan pipes. They look great and smoke awesome.
I have a few pipes I don't care much for that I will sell soon. Just have to overcome my distaste for dealing with the eBay crap. At some point, I would like to have 50 to 60 pipes that all meet my standards for providing an excellent smoking experience. Then my standard for new purchases will rise even further. I'm more interested in quality versus quantity. Quality isn't directly proportional to price either. I bought the Moretti pipes at a good price. They look nice and all deliver a very good smoke. I will sell a couple that don't fit the shape and size preferences I've developed.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
Yeah, my wife tells me I have a pipe problem. The only problem I have is which one to work on next =)
5LV3ZNm.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.