PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

STP

Lifer
Sep 8, 2020
Northeast USA
I’ve noticed several threads lately regarding tongue bite. The general consensus for prevention is to dry the tobacco more, slower the cadence, lightly packed, etc., but little has been said to remedy the effects after it has occurred. I seldom experience tongue bite, but on those occasions I’ve found that the below, or similar, helps… and to take a break from smoking. Any other suggestions?

27BC118A-2334-4C4A-99AF-C8AF4ECDAC07.png

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
I have mentioned my remedy for tongue bite on here several times. It worked great for me back when I first started smoking pipes when it became an issue, and it's worked well for others.

1. Brush teeth and tongue well with a non-sugary toothpaste, rinse well.
  2. Make a paste with baking soda and a bit of water, brush teeth and tongue well with this, rinse well.
  3. For mild cases, gargle and swish a shot full of Hydrogen Peroxide, spit out and rinse well.
  4. For bad cases stick your tongue in a shot glass full of Hydrogen Peroxide for a minute or two, rinse well.
  5. Give it a day or two rest.

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
I have mentioned my remedy for tongue bite on here several times. It worked great for me back when I first started smoking pipes when it became an issue, and it's worked well for others.

1. Brush teeth and tongue well with a non-sugary toothpaste, rinse well.
  2. Make a paste with baking soda and a bit of water, brush teeth and tongue well with this, rinse well.
  3. For mild cases, gargle and swish a shot full of Hydrogen Peroxide, spit out and rinse well.
  4. For bad cases stick your tongue in a shot glass full of Hydrogen Peroxide for a minute or two, rinse well.
  5. Give it a day or two rest.

The image of you setting there, holding a shot glass with your tongue hanging in it. That's classic comedy. If anyone walks into the room while you're doing this, please film their reactions and post here.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Fred Hanna just recently mentioned the Tums heartburn chews on the podcast, definitely worth a try too.

I rarely get tongue bite these days but I did get a torn up mouth just recently from an aged tin of SG Best Brown Flake, the second the cool smoke entered my mouth it just tore me up! Anyone see the miniseries Chernobyl? That’s what BBF did to my mouth, like a radioactive burn!

I also notice that if I take a break from smoking, I’m much more susceptible to tongue bite. St. Bruno will nip me at first but if I smoke through it my mouth becomes acclimated to it. Sometimes you just have to push through the pain.

Last edited:

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
The image of you setting there, holding a shot glass with your tongue hanging in it. That's classic comedy. If anyone walks into the room while you're doing this, please film their reactions and post here.
LOL, True enough! But I did it at the bathroom sink. Besides, I didn't really care how it looked because it worked so well.
I haven't had tongue bite in years, so no pics now. Sorry
I realize the whole exercise seems silly, but it really works well, and most people have all the ingredients in their house.

Reactions: Zero and STP

UncleCharlie

Lurker
Sep 21, 2021
Use rinses?? You must be crazy. Be a man and smoke your pipe and tongue burn be damned. For the first five or so years that I smoked a pipe tongue burn used to eat me alive. After five or six years I finally learned to smoke it correctly. So the question is "Do you feel lucky, punk?"
So enlighten us…how do you smoke it correctly?

Reactions: kcghost