PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Old_Newby

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2022
Texas
Ok it’s getting better. This morning tried the Autumn Evening and loved it. I can taste the note if maple. Lit well and burned all the way. Smooth.
But I don’t seem to ever get hay, or fruit much.

Tasting - not to get weird and I am sure I will get some good jokes on this one but any input on the tongue. I assume it’s we are all different and I should do what works for me, but is there a method to tasting? Center? Underside? etc. I tend to change during a smoke. Sometimes top, sometimes underneath, sometimes tip. Sometimes I try to imaging it coming in on clinch side, rolling across or filling mouth, then exiting on opposite side.

I have read and seen lots of info about pipes, tobacco, loading, lighting, tamping, cadence, etc but not much on what’s going on in the mouth?

I can just enjoy it and do what feels good, but any specific techniques us Newby’s should know about?

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
but any specific techniques us Newby’s should know about?
You could train your palate, smoke different leaf so to learn the differences. Keeping the palate clean would be beneficial also. There's a learning curve I'm sure. Me? I simply enjoy the pipe and revel in the nicotine. Different blends are entertaining but, a serious taster I'm not.

WVOldFart

Lifer
Sep 1, 2021
Eastern panhandle, WV
The main thing is not to get wrapped up in reading tobacco reviews or watching reviews on Youtube. Get the tobacco you want to try and try it with no preconceived notions of what you should taste. I think too many new pipe smokers believe they should taste every single nuance that the reviewers do. Smoke the tobacco and decide for yourself what you taste. The flavors may come easier than you think.

Old_Newby

Jan 1, 2022
Texas
You could train your palate, smoke different leaf so to learn the differences. Keeping the palate clean would be beneficial also. There's a learning curve I'm sure. Me? I simply enjoy the pipe and revel in the nicotine. Different blends are entertaining but, a serious taster I'm not.
Yea I think that’s a great point. My first goal is to learn how to detect a Virginia, a Burley, a Cavendish, a Perique, a Oriental, etc. The Latakia probably will slap me in the face. I have a straight cavendish and straight Virginia (not smoked it yet) and I know burley is that cigarette flavor if not cased / topped.

As far as clean palate what do you recommend? I saw a video of Muttnchop cleansing with orange soda. Is carbonation the key? Etc?

Brewfan

Jul 5, 2021
Louisville, KY, USA
My personal story - I couldn't taste any of the typically described flavors of Virginia in Virginia blends, at all, just everything else in the blend. I bought some Sutliffe 507c Virginia slices and in the first bowl BAM, there's the hay and grass and it's delicious. It's like a lightbulb turned on because now I can taste the Virginia when it's blended.

Not saying this specific tobacco will turn YOUR lightbulb on, just highlighting the beauty of the tasting journey, I suppose.

JKoD

May 9, 2021
IN
Smoke requires the olfactory to “taste” completely.

Perhaps a disgusting example - but, easily relatable.

Do you smell a fart or taste it on your tongue?

Goodnight.

• Haha
Reactions: Reggie

Jimmy_Jack

Can't Leave
Jun 24, 2021
While drawing let a little air sneak in through your lips to mix in with the smoke. I find this opens the flavor a little for me. As well as retrohaleing. Also, sometimes less is more. Don’t take big drags

Reactions: Old_Newby

Eastmon

Might Stick Around
Jan 9, 2022
Vancouver, BC
Every other sip, I let some smoke rise from my mouth and take it in through my nose. Most of the time this is where I get the big taste.

When I retrohale, I barely notice the difference. Funny how that works.

Reactions: Old_Newby

Old_Newby

Jan 1, 2022
Texas
Thanks everyone. Based on all feedback I am not doing anything wrong. I also do taste some flavors. Especially the maple in autumn evening. It tastes like the tin note. I have not settled on right or left clinch yet either. All over the place!!

For me I sometimes, maybe 30% of the time, probably sip too frequently. I have never had tongue bite, but it starts to taste ashy if it burns to fast. I sip slightly and don’t drag, but I am too eager and do not wait long enough (cadence) between sip groupings. I also need to let the wetter tobaccos dry out before smoking.

Bobby Bailey

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 8, 2021
Upper Southwest Arkansas, USA
I don't bother retohaling, it just makes it taste like bland generic smoke to me.
Sipping the smoke across my tongue allows me to taste flavors and sweetness.
We're all a little different, so try different ways to find yours.