PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
I was just watching the video on Dagner’s visit to Tom’s shop in 2015, for anyone that hasn’t seen it, it’s a must.

I really like Tom’s humble spirit, and how he expresses himself and says this in the video;

‘I become a pipe maker because I like smoking, basically you know it’s all about the smoking, I don’t give a shit, you could smoke on the ground with a tube’

All I can say is I got a big LOL out of that! :)

I also like how Tom emphasizes that smoking is a social thing...

I hope one day I have the good fortune of visiting Tom!

Happy Puffing!

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I was just watching the video on Dagner’s visit to Tom’s shop in 2015, for anyone that hasn’t seen it, it’s a must.

I really like Tom’s humble spirit, and how he expresses himself and says this in the video;

‘I become a pipe maker because I like smoking, basically you know it’s all about the smoking, I don’t give a shit, you could smoke on the ground with a tube’

All I can say is I got a big LOL out of that! :)

I also like how Tom emphasizes that smoking is a social thing...

I hope one day I have the good fortune of visiting Tom!

Happy Puffing!
While I don't agree with it being a social activity, I do agree with it just being about the smoking. Could never be a hobbyist smoker.

Reactions: Ebarber

musicman

Lifer
Nov 12, 2019
Cincinnati, OH
Same. Considering how little alone time I get, every minute of it is gold.
Exactly. I don't have little ones, but with a wife who is in a high risk category for this virus, alone time in the house is pretty much non-existent these days. And while I'm aware that you are able to smoke in your house, that's not an option for me, so my evening smokes on the patio are a very important, and for this introvert, restorative, part of my day.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Exactly. I don't have little ones, but with a wife who is in a high risk category for this virus, alone time in the house is pretty much non-existent these days. And while I'm aware that you are able to smoke in your house, that's not an option for me, so my evening smokes on the patio are a very important, and for this introvert, restorative, part of my day.
With the 2020 changes, my alone time has shifted due to home schooling my children. I still work a 7/12 shift, but now the kids are home around the clock and my alone time is mostly nil. Saturday however, I had the entire factory to myself!?

20201121_160601.jpg

Last edited:

musicman

Lifer
Nov 12, 2019
Cincinnati, OH
With the 2020 changes, my alone time has shifted due to home schooling my children. I still work a 7/12 shift, but now the kids are home around the clock and my alone time is mostly nil. Saturday however, I had the entire factory to myself!?

View attachment 52490

View attachment 52491
Kinda jealous that you can smoke on the job. As an organist, I wonder what people would say if I just sparked up a bowl while sitting on the bench in the middle of the sermon. :LOL:

DAR

Can't Leave
Aug 2, 2020
Tiburon, California
I have no idea what Tom is talking about and find it funny that it made sense to anyone. It either went over my head or under my head. Either way, if I want to really taste the smoke and enjoy the pipe, I must smoke by myself without anyone taking my attention away from the pleasure of the pipe. Cigars are another story but don't get in the way of me and my pipe.

Sonorisis

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 24, 2019
I really miss the real-time video feed from Tom's shop. It was always peaceful to watch them go about their work and socializing.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Same. Considering how little alone time I get, every minute of it is gold.
seriously. I live kind far from work for walking the whole way. Some nights I walk the whole thing instead of getting a cab or a ride with my co-worker (who is a pretty cool guy who lives about at the half way point), all because I haven't had enough time to just be with me and nobody else. It's funny people think if you break up with them it's going to be so you can be another person, well if it happens it's just going to be so I can be by myself with no one but the cat. Cats are always fine company even the chatty ones.

Reactions: keith929