PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnMosesBrowning

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 5, 2018
Southeast Michigan
Is this a Dublin pipe shape in this particular picture? It's a famous picture of him with his pipe, but I know others where it seems more of a billiard shape. This looks to me like a Dublin with that thick rim. Thoughts?

tg51

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 24, 2017
Fort Polk, LA
It does look like a Dublin but it could very well be a billiard. I would just say dublin until proven otherwise.

tg51

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 24, 2017
Fort Polk, LA
I agree with the picture causing an optical illusion but in my head I just envision Tolkien smoking a Dublin for some reason.

JohnMosesBrowning

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 5, 2018
Southeast Michigan
Thanks for the input! I see what you mean about the bowl appearing more cylindrical. I suppose I'd only seen Dublin's with that thickness at the rim and just assumed. (Hence the inquiry).

How about this one? Does that stem seem flattened, or is it another illusion?

Reactions: spartacus

Daniele Pipa

Might Stick Around
Sep 28, 2019
In the first part of his time, he don't have a much money, so he buy a bucket pipe. When he his famous, he smoked Dunhill

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
Looks like the stem is about to fall out.

My thought as well. Tenon is damn near halfway out of the mortise. Whatever is going on here, it is probably not a pipe to envy!

Or who knows, maybe it was one of those great-smoking basket pipes that you might come across once in a while, or maybe Tolkien never cleaned his pipes and got a nasty buildup in the mortise.

tg51

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 24, 2017
Fort Polk, LA
It makes me sad to think that the men of my generation will not look nearly as distinguished in their dotage.
I wouldn't necessarily agree. Members of the millennial and Gen Z(my own) generations can certainly look distinguished smoking a pipe. Although, a three piece tweed and a well used typewriter can never hurt.

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
be the change you want to see in the world or some such thing. Love the avatar by the way.

Thanks, I found the avatar online, but I love it.

I’m trying to be the change, really. Pipe smoking is part of it, and trying to preserve even the tiniest formality of dress when I can. But people who do any of this tend to stick out. I can only hope it’s in in a good way.

Status
Not open for further replies.