PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueMaxx

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2020
Indiana
Hey, it cost me an old Emmert style pattern makers vise!
Them things are hard to find.....But I'll go a horse trading any day...hell, I love old auctions.

BlueMaxx

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2020
Indiana
Is that an old radio or a newer version?

Well it is an old new version?

I think it came out around 1982 (cannot remember) as a remake of the old cathedral style radios....but without tubes. It's analog.

Still all wood and picks up AM stations fine and NPR FM for night music....and has that soft glow of light like real the old ones put off from behind the dial.
Pretty much has about the same sound as the real ones I remember as a kid.

I got it off fleaBay for like 25 bucks.
Shipping was more than the thing cost though.

GE and I think Philco or Pyle made some versions around that same time, another is the Norman Rockwell reproduction you can find also.

Sad thing is, even at that year of being made I guess it is antique, jeez I am getting old.

Now the clock setting next to it is a 1902 Kitchen clock I am finishing up.

Would love to have a real old radio with tubes, but I prefer one that looks good AND works ?

3rdguy

Lifer
Aug 29, 2017
Iowa
OK, yeah it looks nice. I just have one but its from 1937, a Philco.

Tough to find people who can fix them nowadays.

Reactions: BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2020
Indiana

No doubt...I watched a few videos on YT of guys who get them and bring them back to life...after about a few minutes my head was about to explode.

If you think antique clocks can be a bear to repair, you ain't seen nothing till you watch those guys with a mess of wires that looks like spaghetti and their test instruments and tubes everywhere.

I had the bright idea to maybe try getting and old one and fixing it up till I watched a few.

As Clint said....."A mans got to know his limitations" ;)

So I just got a replica...

Reactions: 3rdguy

3rdguy

Lifer
Aug 29, 2017
Iowa
I sent mine off the the National radio and tv museum out in D.C. They used to fix them for a “donation”. I like to listen to it on Sunday nights when a local channel plays old time radio broadcasts from 6pm til midnight.

Reactions: dcon and BlueMaxx

BlueMaxx

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2020
Indiana
Me too, Old Scratchy Records with Nolan Porterfield is a favorite on our local NPR radio staton Sunday evenings.

In the wingback with a pipe and listening to that is a very hard feeling to describe....it is more than comforting and comfortable.

It is like smoking a pipe in the way you slow things, and life down...as trite as the saying is, like the old days when things were much more simple.

• Love

tulsagentleman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2019

I owned several in my younger days. About the only thing that wears out are the tubes. The hard part nowadays would be finding replacement tubes although I imagine there is a source for them somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.