Pennsylvania & New York

SamPiper

Lurker
Jul 11, 2023

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
The title of this thread "at the shop", reminds me of this guy who I used to see once in a while. He was into straight grains and when I would see him at the shop or a pipe show, he would be walking around with an expression on his face like his dog just died. Never once saw him grin, let alone smile. He seldom spoke to anyone. When he saw something that caught his eye, out came his jeweler's loop and he would examine the pipe under 10X magnification looking for a flaw. After a moment he would put the pipe down and walk away with a sour look of contempt. Never knew him to actually buy a pipe.

Funny thing is, there were quite a few pipe guys who admired this prima donna. He had a reputation of being a connoisseur and only perfection was good enough for him. I always thought he was a pompous twit. After all, how do you find perfection in a briar? The best straight grain I ever saw had a few flaws. It's strange how some people are into hero worship. I have a lot of "flaws" myself, but hero worship is certainly not one of them. puffy

orvet

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 1, 2023
Willamette Valley of Oregon
Smoking some Pegasus in my Luigi UipratiView attachment 234273
Very nice! From the looks of the display case, am I correct in assuming you work in a retail pipe shop?
I remember the good old days when we used to be able to smoke in pipe shops here in Oregon. I usually had at least a 36 rack of pipes behind the counter that were my own personal pipes. When customers asked how many pipes do you need, I said, "Well these is a few of mine, I have more at home and in the other two stores." It was surprising how often that bit of information led to selling the customer a new pipe!
Welcome to The Forum!

orvet

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 1, 2023
Willamette Valley of Oregon
Man, that looks like the life! Every time I see a Hiring sign in my local stores, I think about it.
I had several retired gentleman who worked for me in the smoke shops and they were some of my favorite employees. I think it does make a nice retirement job for a couple days a week. It is usually not very stressful for most people. The worst part for me nowadays would be standing on my feet for long periods of time.
Go ahead and give it a try, you might love it!

Reactions: SamPiper and FLDRD