PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
@PApiper63 what cigars do you enjoy? I smoke cigars as well. I find the nic hit from pipes different than cigars. Also what pipe blends have you tried? This way I could make a mote educated guess at what you're after

hakchuma

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2014
Michigan, USA
I could eat a can of tobacco like popeye and be searching for my pipe immediately afterwards. But I don’t know what it is about Semois. For some reason my nicotine need is fully satisfied before I even finish a bowl of Semois. It stinks, doesn’t taste all that great but worth every moment of my time.

Jahman7

Might Stick Around
Jul 25, 2024
Texas
I could eat a can of tobacco like popeye and be searching for my pipe immediately afterwards. But I don’t know what it is about Semois. For some reason my nicotine need is fully satisfied before I even finish a bowl of Semois. It stinks, doesn’t taste all that great but worth every moment of my time.
Where can I find some to purchase? Sounds delightful.

Roach1

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 25, 2023
Germany
After a recommendation from Sigmund I use blending Perique to spice up blends. I also mixed 45% each HU Directors Cut and HU Edward G which both have Perique plus an extra 10% blending Perique. It's almost ready to try,has been jarred for three months.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
North Central Florida
Rustica. But have you tried Camel Unfiltered in a cob?
no, but I've smoked cigar stubs both broken up and standing. I've smoked Drum tobacco in my pipe too. Drum was what I smoked as a RYO for years before I quite cigs cold turkey. I came back to tobacco as always, during a time of extreme stress. Luckily, I found pipes this time. Once I learned to smoke a pipe w/o inhaling (big stretch, I know) I was off to the races.
I used to save my dottle and smoke it too. Now, I just smoke dottle if its in a pipe with enough mass remaining to hold a cherry.

Reactions: bullet08

khiddy

Starting to Get Obsessed
I had a bowl of G&H Kendal Kentucky tonight and it provided a nice amount of Vitamin N along with quite a bit of spice on the tongue (not bite, but pepperiness). The fine (almost shag) cut made it easy to load, though I had also dried it out for a few hours prior to smoking.

I also had a bowl of HH Rustica Ready Rubbed which added to the woobliness of the nic-hit from the Kendal KY. Just coming down off of it now, an hour later!

Snakeseye

Might Stick Around
Aug 15, 2021
Israel
Black Rope (Irish X etc.)
Brown Rope
Dark Flake
Dark Bird's Eye
Dark Plug
Warhorse Green (red might be just as strong I just never tasted it)
3P Plug
probably forgetting some.. will edit if I have more ideas.

SmokingMedic

Lurker
Jan 9, 2024
Wisconsin
I mostly smoke pipes for meditation and relax. But sometimes I want a mic hit for the quick buzz without impeding the rest of my day. I just ordered MacBaren’s HH Rustica off smokingpipes website to see if it’s really that strong. I’ll try to respond to this post with my thoughts after I have a chance

khiddy

Starting to Get Obsessed
I’m shocked it took so long to see Ten Russians mentioned. I haven’t yet had it (my tin is waiting for me at home at the end of this road trip), but I read a review by Miyanovich on TR that sent me to order the tin immediately, to wit:

“Have you ever been so out-of-wack, that you felt as if your pants had fallen off, even though you still had them on? Because, if you know that feeling, then you know what it felt like to me.

“My body temp went from 98.6 F to about 100,000 degrees Kelvin. I could barely finish my phone conversation. Every muscle in my body got weak. I began to yawn incessantly. As I drove home, I had to keep my head perfectly still and my torso at a perfect 90 degrees. You see, I was gripped by the fear that I was going to projectile vomit so hard that my windshield was going to get shot out, like in a Starsky and Hutch episode...except from the inside of the vehicle. The drive home is still a complete mystery to my memory banks.

“When I got home,I couldn't even gather all of my goods from the truck. I just left my sh*t in the cab. I walked in the house, grabbed a cold rag, laid on the couch, put the rag on my head, and passed out.

“I woke up an hour later, refreshed and okay because the Vitamin N overdose had processed. I had to eat a large bowl of organic noodles, and a bagel to reach true homeostasis."

- source: https://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/578/hermit-tobacco-works-co-captain-earles-ten-russians/
As I mentioned when I posted the excerpt from the Ten Russians review last week, I had not yet smoked the blend myself. I have now had two bowls on successive nights, and I can say that while it is a very delicious and über-smoky Latakia bomb, I did not experience the nicotine rush that reviewer Miyanovich reported. I've gotten a much stronger hit from HH Bold Kentucky (or even Peterson Royal Yacht on occasion).

So you can strike Ten Russians from the nic-bomb list.