PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PApiper63

Lurker
Apr 13, 2024
I smoked cigars for years and in the last year or so made the move to being primarily a pipe smoker. Even though I smoked an occasional cigar, I transitioned away from them. Recently, I smoked a cigar that I had smoked before, but was surprised by the nicotine hit. I rather enjoyed it.
Do you folks have any recommendations for a pipe tobacco that has a good amount of nicotine? Even if it's not a specific brand, is there a type(Virginia, Perique etc) that tends to have more nicotine than others?

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Despite smoking cigars exclusively for years, I am a Nic-whimp.
So I deliberately avoid strong Nic blends

Peterson’s Irish Flake was one that sat me down on my butt when I tried getting up from my chair.

Reviews on TobaccoReviews and SmokingPipes give an indication of the relative strength of the different blends

BrightDarkEyes

Can't Leave
Mar 16, 2024
Shuswap, British Columbia
There are a lot of good recommendations here that I’ve never tried yet. Here are some of mine:

Cornell & Diehl: Haunted Bookshop, Old Joe Krant, Oak Alley, Byzantium, Tuggle Hall, Gates of Light, Riverboat Gambler, Bow Legged Bear, Night Train, Bayou Morning Flake

Peterson: Irish Flake, Irish Cask, Nightcap

Five Brothers

Samuel Gawith Brown No. 4 Twist

elvishrunes

Can't Leave
Jun 19, 2017
What are smoking now? Sounds like drugstore blends like Captain Black, they are weak. But most good flakes like Orlik, stuff with dark fire Kentucky, and most Gawith stuff does it for me.

captpat

Lifer
Dec 16, 2014
North Carolina
G&H Happy Bogie, Black Irish, Brown Irish
Five Brothers

And let's not forget Cotton Boll, takes a bit of sleuthing to source it.

To borrow something we used to say in the Navy about seasickness -- there are two types of people in the world, those who've experienced a nic hit and those who will. It's all about the right combination of factors coming together.

dottlejockey

Part of the Furniture Now
I don't really get a nic hit anymore from anything, but when i'm craving the most satisfying pipe load (after a big meal or later in the evening before bed) i tend to lean into burley and Kentucky blends.

Ropes and twists: brown rope #4, black xx, etc
Rustica
ODF
Haunted bookshop
OJK
Triple play
Jack Knife

To name a few off the top.