PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spinkle

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 16, 2019
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
OK since the last one seemed to bring back some positive memories, here's another one for your consideration.

In the description for Old Joe Krantz, the notes state "I was reading the reviews of Haunted Bookshop and Norm Musicant indicated that he liked more red Virginia in his blends. Norm is someone whose opinion I respect. "

Cornell & Diehl - Old Joe Krantz - Tobacco Reviews - https://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/1700/cornell-diehl-old-joe-krantz

I went over to the Haunted Bookshop page, and searched for "red virginia" and found the review by Noorrmm:

Cornell & Diehl - Haunted Bookshop - Tobacco Reviews - https://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/1572/cornell-diehl-haunted-bookshop#review492

Anyone here familiar with Norm, and how he is related to C&D? Any other notes about the creation of this blend you think are interesting? Based on the previous posts it sounds like we've got some real insiders around on the forum, and I feel that there may be another interesting story behind how he inspired this now classic and respected blend.

Edit: I messed up the link, should be fixed now.

Reactions: Saintwilliam

sholto

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 18, 2019
Kansas & (occasionally) Kendal, UK
Robert Lewis Tree Mixture was apparently a private blend for one Colonel Tree. Other than being a customer, what else (if anything) is known about said gentleman?
I don't normally reply to my own posts but I discovered a little snippet on Col. Tree so I thought I'd add it here in case anyone is interested.

"In the Robert Lewis line, Tree Mixture and 123 are the most popular lines. Tree Mixture was created less than 50 years ago for a Colonel Tree, who smoked so much of it that he alone was able to sustain it as a completely private brand until the end of the 20th century. A fine blend of Latakia, Virginia and Oriental tobaccos, Tree Mixture offers a spicy aroma and smoothness that is often likened to Balkan Sobranie."

Seems it's a much more recent blend than I originally thought. Sounds like he really enjoyed it :)

Reactions: Spinkle

Spinkle

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 16, 2019
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
No bites on the last query, here's a new one for your consideration:

I was just enjoying a bowl of Mac Baren Mixture: Scottish Blend and naturally fired up the review on TR on my phone as I smoked. The review page is here:

Mac Baren - Mixture: Scottish Blend - Tobacco Reviews - https://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/692/mac-baren-mixture-scottish-blend

The description states "Mixture is one of the most popular pipe tobaccos in the world, and is the leading brand tax free, a position which Mixture has been able to maintain through decades."

What does "leading brand tax free" mean? Anyone able to shed some light on this?

Bonus point if you can provide suggestions for similar blends as I really love this tobacco.

Status
Not open for further replies.