Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
I stopped into Davidoff at the Brookfield Place Mall during my lunch hour. They had an array of Elie Bleu humidors, some gorgeous Damascus steel blade knives (one with scales made from wood from the old Yankee Stadium called “the Pinstripe”), and six tins of Davidoff pipe tobacco—I bought one of the Flake Medallions tins on hand.

IMG_20221019_234120.jpg

clynch

Can't Leave
Feb 3, 2013
Pensacola Florida
It is sad to see what has happened to NYC retail since the late 70's, which is as far back as I can remember. As a young teen, I found the variety, depth, and charm of NYC's specialty shops to be amazing and inspiring. I'm sure all large cities have suffered in similar ways, but Manhattan is a striking example of urban cultural decay.
Very true. Awesome restaurants have also declined with chain stores on the rise.

raybrown55

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 5, 2017
In addition to barclay Rex down by Wall Street, Davidoff of Geneva 6th avenue and davidoff of Geneva 515 Madison Avenue. The one off 6th is where I first learned of McClelland years ago. They have a decent selection of pipe tobacco, I would say around 30 to 40 different blends, all tinned tobacco, no loose tobacco. Sadly the barclay Rex on Wall Street is not as good as the location they moved from nor old the upper east side location. Between the barclay Rex and Davidoff you should be able to get a nice array of tobaccos.
Thanks, this broaden sensibly our chances...

raybrown55

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 5, 2017
I stopped into Davidoff at the Brookfield Place Mall during my lunch hour. They had an array of Elie Bleu humidors, some gorgeous Damascus steel blade knives (one with scales made from wood from the old Yankee Stadium called “the Pinstripe”), and six tins of Davidoff pipe tobacco—I bought one of the Flake Medallions tins on hand.

View attachment 176144
Ah I like very much Flake Medallions, they are available from Dubini, Chiasso (Switzerland), a well stocked tobacconist that I visit from time to time. They have a vast selection of American and English tobaccos too...

Western Isles

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 19, 2021
Tennessee
Very true. Awesome restaurants have also declined with chain stores on the rise.
I imagine you're right, but I have to give a quick shout-out to the Russian Tea Room, where we had a wonderful experience last year on my wife's birthday. . Are many of the restaurants still doing outdoor dining on the sidewalk?

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I imagine you're right, but I have to give a quick shout-out to the Russian Tea Room, where we had a wonderful experience last year on my wife's birthday. . Are many of the restaurants still doing outdoor dining on the sidewalk?
Where the NYC Pipe Club meets, at the Soho Cigar Bar, has a front that opens up and is pretty nice in the summer.
On my last trip, I was stopped by a policeman for smoking my pipe in MacArthur Park (off by myself) He gave me a friendly warning, but said another policeman would likely ticket me.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
But in any given Metropol city in the US,in the grocery stores and newsagents, there must be some selection of domestic OTC mixtures ,such as CarterHall and Half&Half ,mixture79 and prices for those are very affordable

Andre_T

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 17, 2018
Long Island, New York
I stop into Barclay-Rex on occasion (it's not that long a walk from my office at the 9 to 5 gig). Their tin section is quite small and 3x the price of online vendors. I've only smoked their Maiden Lane blend, a mild English that the gal there compared to Balkan Sobranie. I enjoy the novelty of smoking the blend in a Barclay-Rex pipe, but, it's nothing to write home about.

There is a Davidoff at the Brookfield Place Mall on the Westside Highway. You might find a couple Davidoff tins, but, not much else. I'd love to find a brick and mortar here in New York that had a decent pipe tobacco section. Those days are long gone and I never got to take advantage as I was more into cigars in the '90s.
To be fair there is Davidoff in the city at the old De La Concha. If she is out on Long Island at all I could list some places with a decent selection.

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
This is not for OP as I would not recommend a shop I have not been to.

The very last time I took a Path to World Trade Center (A few years back) I saw a hole in the wall pipe shop. Has anyone been here? How is it?

Dropped pin

View attachment 176263
I've stopped in there a few times over the last five years when a coworker needed some cigarette rolling papers and tobacco. I don't recall seeing any pipes, but, I wasn't looking. It's just a short walk from work—I could check sometime soon. It is a hole in the wall.

Reactions: cshubhra

raybrown55

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 5, 2017
To be fair there is Davidoff in the city at the old De La Concha. If she is out on Long Island at all I could list some places with a decent selection.
Thanks, I think she will last in NYC or perhaps the neighborhood...

Reactions: Andre_T

Terry Lennox

Can't Leave
Aug 11, 2021
Southern California
But in any given Metropol city in the US,in the grocery stores and newsagents, there must be some selection of domestic OTC mixtures ,such as CarterHall and Half&Half ,mixture79 and prices for those are very affordable
Unfortunately this is not so. Very few metro areas have grocery stores or drug stores or news agents that carry any of the OTC blends any more. Most sales have moved online or to smoke shops in regions like the southern states mostly.

dunnyboy

Lifer
Jul 6, 2018
New York
I concur with the suggestion of ordering online and having it shipped to where your daughter is staying in NYC. tobaccopipes.com is having a sale on C&D tobaccos and doesn't charge NY state sales tax. Just make sure the parcel will arrive in time.

raybrown55

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 5, 2017
The time is indeed the main problem, a shipment can always be late due to whatever cause, and my daughter will last in NYC only a few days...

Jon888

Might Stick Around
Jul 25, 2022
NYC
I lost track of if anyone ever answered your question of whether Barclay Rex sells anything but their own blends. They do sell the current Peterson as well as the old Dunhill tins. I don’t remember what other tins. The two main house blends are Maiden Lane, which was mentioned and Vincent’s blend. maiden lane is an American English blend (with burley) Vincent’s has no burley.

raybrown55

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 5, 2017
I lost track of if anyone ever answered your question of whether Barclay Rex sells anything but their own blends. They do sell the current Peterson as well as the old Dunhill tins. I don’t remember what other tins. The two main house blends are Maiden Lane, which was mentioned and Vincent’s blend. maiden lane is an American English blend (with burley) Vincent’s has no burley.
Thanks for the info, it seems that my daughter will find there something useful for me....

Reactions: Jon888

JEdwards

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 23, 2022
Atlanta, Georgia, USA, Earth
Hello Everyone,

I signed up for the forum specifically to replay to this post and will make a proper introduction very shortly.

I was in NYC last weekend and visited both Davidoff on 6th and Barclay Rex on Pearl. Don’t expect bargain prices on either tobacco or pipes but do visit both. I ended up overpaying (significantly) for a Savinelli Hercules because I wanted something that would remind me of my trip. I could have ordered the same pipe online but in this case it just would
not have the same meaning. It was an adventure visiting both stores and the store personnel could not have been more helpful and polite.

Last edited:

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
Where the NYC Pipe Club meets, at the Soho Cigar Bar, has a front that opens up and is pretty nice in the summer.
On my last trip, I was stopped by a policeman for smoking my pipe in MacArthur Park (off by myself) He gave me a friendly warning, but said another policeman would likely ticket me.

I was standing at the corner of Bryant Park many years ago in a choking cloud of bus diesel exhaust, and trying to smoke my pipe, when a cop told me I couldn't smoke in the park. Now I reside in Arizona!