PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

pylorns

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Austin, Texas
www.thepipetool.com
It is pretty cigar-oriented. But there is a section on pipes, and you learn a lot about tobacco in general, types of plants, and leaves. Believe it or not, Kevin actually wrote the pipe section. They recently (like in the past 2-3 years) started a consumer-level cert CCT, and its a lot easier to get certified these days than it used to be. Used to be you had to take the test at a location that was a certified tobacconist or at a trade event where they were. Now you can take it virtually.

They also have a kindle version of the book which is waaaay more reasonable and its the latest edition. Amazon.com - https://www.amazon.com/Tobacconist-Handbook-Essential-Guide-Cigars-ebook/dp/B084MNR7RF/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2A04NHUTXA95I&keywords=tobacconist+university+handbook&qid=1695134719&sprefix=tobacconist+uni%2Caps%2C96&sr=8-1

It looks like it's out of print again for the 2nd edition. Anyway I'd recommend it - its a great way to expand your knowledge of the industry.

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
It is pretty cigar-oriented. But there is a section on pipes, and you learn a lot about tobacco in general, types of plants, and leaves. Believe it or not, Kevin actually wrote the pipe section. They recently (like in the past 2-3 years) started a consumer-level cert CCT, and its a lot easier to get certified these days than it used to be. Used to be you had to take the test at a location that was a certified tobacconist or at a trade event where they were. Now you can take it virtually.

They also have a kindle version of the book which is waaaay more reasonable and its the latest edition. Amazon.com - https://www.amazon.com/Tobacconist-Handbook-Essential-Guide-Cigars-ebook/dp/B084MNR7RF/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2A04NHUTXA95I&keywords=tobacconist+university+handbook&qid=1695134719&sprefix=tobacconist+uni%2Caps%2C96&sr=8-1

It looks like it's out of print again for the 2nd edition. Anyway I'd recommend it - its a great way to expand your knowledge of the industry.
Having it on Kindle is great. The reviews also mention that the information on pipe tobacco is lacking but is still a good read. Hopefully in future editions the pipe tobacco section is expanded.

Reactions: VDL_Piper

VDL_Piper

Lifer
Jun 4, 2021
Tasmania, Australia
Thanks everyone for all the information. @pylorns I agree it’s very cigar orientated but it has enough other elements to be very interesting I’d say, thanks for the book link too. I would do the CCT certification if any as I doubt I’d get any value out of becoming a full blown tobacconist in Oz 🤣

Now to smoke a bowl and make a decision 🤔