PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Mbear

Lurker
Nov 7, 2021
Heading to New Orleans for the holidays. Does anyone know of a tobacconist that also has pipes and pipe tobacco, not just cigars?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I bet there have been great pipe shops in NOLA, but no longer apparently. It seems like Tulane University would sustain at least one pipe and cigar shop, or has in the past. It's a great walking city and accommodates foot traffic well, plus it has tourists. But it has been so beat up by hurricanes, the small profit margin of a pipe shop might not have survived.

Reactions: JOHN72 and weezell

jafo1989

Might Stick Around
Dec 2, 2021
Chicago
Bumping this to give it new life, cuz my wife & are are talking about going to NOLA next month for a long weekend (February in Chicago: those who know, understand).

Not just pipe & tobacco merchants, but antique shops that might be a good bet for estates?

btp79

Can't Leave
Jan 27, 2018
Sugar Land, TX
Bumping this to give it new life, cuz my wife & are are talking about going to NOLA next month for a long weekend (February in Chicago: those who know, understand).

Not just pipe & tobacco merchants, but antique shops that might be a good bet for estates?
Last time I was there, 3 years ago all of the antique shops seemed to have "antique" Black wood forest humidors.... seriously every single one had a few. I guess in the late 1850's the Germans must have just hammered out a couple thousand of them in the shapes of bear, wolf, and as i recall frog heads for export to NOLA. I just found it odd that they ALL had them, and they all looked the same.

Reactions: jafo1989

jafo1989

Might Stick Around
Dec 2, 2021
Chicago
Last time I was there, 3 years ago all of the antique shops seemed to have "antique" Black wood forest humidors.... seriously every single one had a few. I guess in the late 1850's the Germans must have just hammered out a couple thousand of them in the shapes of bear, wolf, and as i recall frog heads for export to NOLA. I just found it odd that they ALL had them, and they all looked the same.
Actually that may not be nearly as random as you might’ve thought. In the 19th century NOLA was a major immigration port & there was a wave of Germans in the 1840s-1850s. Most kept going up the Mississippi to settle in the Midwest (my own family’s history) but I gather plenty stayed in the NOLA area.

btp79

Can't Leave
Jan 27, 2018
Sugar Land, TX
Actually that may not be nearly as random as you might’ve thought. In the 19th century NOLA was a major immigration port & there was a wave of Germans in the 1840s-1850s. Most kept going up the Mississippi to settle in the Midwest (my own family’s history) but I gather plenty stayed in the NOLA area.
I guess each family was issued a wolf, bear, or frog head humidor full of cigars for the trip. I'm just saying it's a pretty niche item to find in that quantity and condition. But hey, they could all be legit, not like a tourist centered antique market would do anything untoward :)

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc

I've been in many antique stores, never saw many/any tobacco pipes, but you never know, so that's the fun of the search! Not surprisingly most of the shops in the quarter or Garden district are widely over-priced, so be aware.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Best bet is the Mayan Import in Metarie. The one on Magazine Street has a smaller selection of pipe stuff.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Between the tourism and the foot traffic, NOLA seems like it would be a natural place for a grand old atmospheric pipe shop, but so far as I know, it isn't. Chicago has Iwan Ries; Boston has Peretti's; Montreal has Blatter and Blatter; NYC still has one after Nat Sherman closed (I'm blocking on the name); but most great cities don't. I guess if I got to NOLA today, I'd be spending too much on sumptuous dining to buy a fine pipe. I'd probably settle on a fine cigar.

swan

Lurker
Dec 9, 2018
NYC
Heading to New Orleans for the holidays. Does anyone know of a tobacconist that also has pipes and pipe tobacco, not just cigars?
Been there at the beginning of December, Mayan import is a really nice place.
Don't expect a huge selection of pipe tobaccos but not bad at all and the tins you can find have often a few years of aging already. They do have a good selection of pipes but they are pretty pricey, unfortunately.