PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrbigglesworth

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 1, 2015
Winston Salem, NC
With cigars it's always a Coke or Pepsi, sometimes sweet tea, as the sweetness mellowed out the smoke and added to the experience, imo. However, with pipes, a sugary drink with aros just tastes bad, like dirt or something. So it's always water. The water cleanses the palate and I can taste the subtleties of the blend. Usually the same with Frog Morton or other english blend. But because they lack the sugars of the aros, sometimes its a Coke.

In summary, if it's a sweet smoke then I drink water. Not a sweet smoke then I balance it with coke/pepsi/sweet tea.

howink

Lurker
Mar 24, 2015
Aah, Pug, I haven't had "a nice Hawaiian punch" in a long, long time! Thanks for the memory!
HoWink

billinsfl

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 28, 2010
Cold milk. Seriously, especially with Oriental blends. Otherwise, any soda available.

hakchuma

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2014
Michigan, USA
The more I read threads about pairing drinks the more I realize that I am a straight water person. Other than 2 cups of coffee in the morning at most.

carpart67

Lurker
Jan 21, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
My pipe smoking usually takes place shortly after I haul myself out of bed on the weekends. Here's what I've really enjoyed lately.
Mac Baren Virginia No.1 with Death Wish coffee
Captain Black regular or royal (or other aromatics) with Newfoundland Screech rum flavored coffee
I try to dry the tobacco a bit and always grind the coffee fresh. It's become a bit of a ritual.

atskywalker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 23, 2015
Canada
I find Turkish Coffee to be my favourite pairing with anything I smoke. Next is filtered coffee (usually darker/naturally sweeter beans). I've also discovered dried Sage tea recently and Its amazing with Latakia!

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
Usually Coke, Root Beer or tea. Occasionally Scotch, Spanish brandy, Calvados or sherry. Never beer. Whenever I've piped while or even after drinking a beer, it seems the hop oils collect on the back of my palette and mixes with the smoke to create an acrid, bitter taste.....somewhat like I imagine Comet and cigar ash mixed would taste like. A Scotch ale might not have those issues though....hmmm. Time to science

smokinfireman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 17, 2015
Welcome! I usually like a glass of cran-apple or coffee with coffeemate hazelnut. Depends on the blend and the pipe. Non-alcoholic here.

Status
Not open for further replies.