PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
I like think of King James seeing someone speak highly of smoking tobacco, and deciding to power up the ol' laptop to feverishly compose this counterblast.

Why should I take him seriously though? That King James couldn't even dunk!

GettyImages-1297135135-3.jpg

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
I like think of King James seeing someone speak highly of smoking tobacco, and deciding to power up the ol' laptop to feverishly compose this counterblast.

Why should I take him seriously though? That King James couldn't even dunk!

GettyImages-1297135135-3.jpg
But he's in prime position to fart right in that defender's face. "Hmmm...smells like Captain Black Red Sky!"

Jaylotw

Lifer
Mar 13, 2020
NE Ohio
Why is the letter “S” only used at the end of words, but in the middle of words they used “f”. Unless it’s capital letters. I’m asking the real questions.

Reactions: pitchfork

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
Why is the letter “S” only used at the end of words, but in the middle of words they used “f”. Unless it’s capital letters. I’m asking the real questions.
I confefs to knowing only a little, but I believe it developed from the conventions of old Latin handwritten script.

There were a whole set of rules of when to use the f-like long s, or the short s. Eventually we gave it up.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I confefs to knowing only a little, but I believe it developed from the conventions of old Latin handwritten script.

There were a whole set of rules of when to use the f-like long s, or the short s. Eventually we gave it up.
That's right. What we now call the "long s" was just the lower-case/miniscule "s" in Latin handwriting and its use survived until the late 18th century (more or less), both in print and in script.